Bobcat attach

NBasham

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 25, 2013
I have a survivor Chicken! She's been through a bobcat attack while molting. Since she had few feathers she got a few scratches. Deep scratches that seperated her skin. My wife and I put her in a cage in the garage to nurse her back. So far we've been irrigating with Hydrogen Peroxide and covering the wounds with triple antibiotic ointment daily. Does this sound right? Is there anything else we should do to help her wounds to heal?

I have a survivor Chicken! She's been through a bobcat attack while molting. Since she had few feathers she got a few scratches. Deep scratches that seperated her skin. My wife and I put her in a cage in the garage to nurse her back. So far we've been irrigating with Hydrogen Peroxide and covering the wounds with triple antibiotic ointment daily. Does this sound right? Is there anything else we should do to help her wounds to heal?
BLUE KOTE, one application of blue kote will help enormously.

But you are on the right track.... Where are her wounds? is she eating and drinking OK?

Use baby shampoo when cleaning the wounds to get any dried blood off her, yes, that means bath time. She'll love the warm water. is she limping or showing any signs of stress?

you can also use Povidone Iodine

Also, adding to what Lacrystol said, make sure your triple antibiotic ointment is free of painkillers, as these are toxic to chickens. Other than that, it appears you're on the right track.
thumbsup.gif

Her wounds are under her wing and on her leg. She is limping a little, but we're seeing healing! Conseula is one tough chicken! We aren't using the pain killer antibiotic....just the normal stuff. So far she's eating and drinking ok and wants out of her cage, but we want to keep her seperated until the wounds heal. THanks for your comments!! It's BATH TIME today!

Drop a full pill of Vitamin B complete in her water, will help her recover the leg issue faster... If she wants to walk around I would let her, being confine in a cage for a while, she's probably getting craps and need to stretch which is great for her legs and flop those wings out... I wouldn't let her walk around for long, maybe like in the bathroom just so she can get some stretching done... Perhaps limit her for like 5 minutes.. The faster she gets her strength back into those legs the faster she will be back to normal..

When I said cage, I mean a large size dog Kennel. She can walk around....and does! We tried a bath today and she LOVED IT! After we dried her, we wrapped her in a towel and she fell asleep in my wifes arms! THAT is one spoiled chicken!

Here are some pictures of Consuela and her wounds.

Below is the gash under her wing. The hazy stuff is triple antibiotic

The dark spot above her foot is a scab of another wound.

and this is Connie in her "rehab unit". She seems to be doing well, I just worry about the wounds.

You can see skin because it's her injured leg AND she's molting! Poor Connie!

Wow she really did get a number done dang.. She looks sooo sad in her home, poor thing.. Just keep what you are doing, is she limping by any chance with the leg wound..

Keep smelling the wounds like ever other day for any foul odors, this could very well be a sign of infection..

Back
Top Bottom