Bobcat attack, please help!

Was the comb injured in the attack? If so, tissue can swell a bit as it heals. If the comb has not been injured, there are benign reasons for swelling or plumping, usually hormonal.

If there are other symptoms such as sneezing, coughing or watery eyes, it can be related to a respiratory illness. If there are no other symptoms and no previous injury, there shouldn't be any reason to worry.

Was the comb injured in the attack? If so, tissue can swell a bit as it heals. If the comb has not been injured, there are benign reasons for swelling or plumping, usually hormonal.

If there are other symptoms such as sneezing, coughing or watery eyes, it can be related to a respiratory illness. If there are no other symptoms and no previous injury, there shouldn't be any reason to worry.
I agree with azygous, keep cleaning it and put antibiotic ointment on. Observe her behavior. Check back with us tomorrow, post pictures too!

I would look for puncture wound , if there was blood there’s a wound and a puncture will close up but harbor bacteria from the tooth or nail that made it and she’ll get a terrible infection. I’d use Vetrycin poultry spray.

Long story short a bobcat attacked one of my hens. He grabbed onto her neck but my dad jumped out of the window and was able to get the bobcat to drop her and run off. There are no bad wounds, just some missing feathers and a little bit of blood but that is the extent of it. She is not acting good tho and I think she is suffering from shock. How do I treat this? What should I do? Thank you so much for any help! View attachment 3296348
Ok I definitely will, thank you! I let her back into the flock because she was getting very antsy and she was so glad to be back. I will go grab her again tho and flush her wounds. I also heard dakins solution can work (1 gallon of water, 1T of bleach and 1t of baking soda) should I try that?
I really like vetrycin products. There’s a cleaning and gel spray. I had a hen whose backside was opened up. Idk if something got ahold of her or if she was pecked open, but we could see her insides. I isolated Her and kept applying vetrycin & healed and she was fine. I live in Iowa, but unfortunately find it hard to get quality & affordable veterinary help with chickens-even at the ag college. Good luck!

I would look for puncture wound , if there was blood there’s a wound and a puncture will close up but harbor bacteria from the tooth or nail that made it and she’ll get a terrible infection. I’d use Vetrycin poultry spray.
I agree, have had wonderful results with vetrycin!

Long story short a bobcat attacked one of my hens. He grabbed onto her neck but my dad jumped out of the window and was able to get the bobcat to drop her and run off. There are no bad wounds, just some missing feathers and a little bit of blood but that is the extent of it. She is not acting good tho and I think she is suffering from shock. How do I treat this? What should I do? Thank you so much for any help! View attachment 3296348
I had a racoon do the same and i put neosporin on the bites and she healed up fine.

I came home to find two of my hens missing feathers on her neck which has never grown back. She was herself in shock so i checked her over and tried to calm her down. I had to reassure her she was safe. She was ok a few days later.

I came home to find two of my hens missing feathers on her neck which has never grown back. She was herself in shock so i checked her over and tried to calm her down. I had to reassure her she was safe. She was ok a few days later.
My new dog loosened his leash once and attacked one of my girls, plucked get really good, she finally grew her feathers back six months later. Needless to say, he's always on a very short leash. We adopted him from city folk, they didn't know he had a huge prey drive.

Back
Top Bottom