Bobcat Injury

Lazybull

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2023
Hi there, we free range our ladies. We picked up a couple of silkies in June (8ish weeks old at the time) and they have been doing well! Three days ago a bobcat took off with one and injured another. No feathers but caught on camera.

Our injured chicken was in shock. We brought her in the house, started electrolytes and cleaned the wound (it’s in an area where her legs sits so she hasn’t been too mobile). She has been making progress: interested in eating, alert, quiet peeping. But today her aim is off when trying to eat. I can’t get her to connect with the food when I hold out eggs for her. She tries, she tries her hardest. But she just cannot connect with the food. She could yesterday, she was picking at some feed. She’s still not standing and doesn’t show signs of being able to stand.

Every single time I try to look at her face she pulls her head away and tucks her head down.

We have to clean her since she cannot stand, and when I’m cleaning her in the sink she moves her head around freely.

Any suggestion? Anyone have anything similar?
We’re remote country and there are no bird vets near us.

You could try to get her drinking fluids with electrolytes. Gatorade works and you can make simple homemade electrolytes. Mix a little wet chicken feed and offer. A chicken sling would be helpful if she will remain in it for periods to get upright and sit in front of food and water. If her neck is weird, it could be wry neck from the injury. Vitamin E 400 IU softgels and a little bit of cooked egg daily may help with that. Here are some examples of chicken slings with good examples and the basic design in posts 5, 11, and 12:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

You could try to get her drinking fluids with electrolytes. Gatorade works and you can make simple homemade electrolytes. Mix a little wet chicken feed and offer. A chicken sling would be helpful if she will remain in it for periods to get upright and sit in front of food and water. If her neck is weird, it could be wry neck from the injury. Vitamin E 400 IU softgels and a little bit of cooked egg daily may help with that. Here are some examples of chicken slings with good examples and the basic design in posts 5, 11, and 12:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
Thank you so much! I didn’t even think of a sling. Appreciate that :)

Some chicks won’t tolerate slings and may fight to get out of them, but many tolerate them. Take her out to sleep and rest often. Let us know how she gets along.

Back
Top Bottom