Bobcat mitigation

A bobcat killed my goose at 1pm in the afternoon when we were home. He literally, within a month, killed 20 chickens, 2 ducks, 2 turkeys and a goose. We have given up on keeping poultry. I might get a mini donkey to protect the next batch of chickens I purchase.

Dear MSCHWAGER,

Hi there.

Has your electrified angled fence top kept out the cats?

I am looking to put up 1900 feet of bobcat proof fence. What an expense. Do you or anyone here have any advice for me?
I know they can clear at least 8 feet with out touching the top of the fence.
Do you think that is why your earlier 8 ft. non angled fence with the hot top did not work?....because she just sailed over it?

Currently I am thinking to build something straight up with a hot wire at 9 feet.

Thank you in advance for any of your time and advice. :)

DeAsUnJa
Avalon Gardens
Tumacacori, Arizona

A bobcat killed my goose at 1pm in the afternoon when we were home. He literally, within a month, killed 20 chickens, 2 ducks, 2 turkeys and a goose. We have given up on keeping poultry. I might get a mini donkey to protect the next batch of chickens I purchase.
Why have you not gotten a predation permit from your state game & fish department and killed the bobcat or called a critter control company?????????
Losing a few birds before taking serious measures is bad enough but you lost 25!
Forgive my harshness but what did you do to address the issue?

As of last week, we have now lost the seventh of our original nine chickens, all to bobcats. For years our flock free-ranged by day in a large shaded walled and fenced in side yard (and were locked up at night safely in their coop), but after the first bobcat attack we built a new Fort Knox. We took a walk-in 7 x 9 dog run and reinforced it from top to bottom (covering the entire top) - and adding smaller mesh, wiring, cables, ties, etc. all over -- you name it we did it to keep them safe.

Somehow a bobcat still got one of them thru the fencing after we first built it. Then we added yet more smaller mesh - 16 mos later fast forward to last week and the bobcat got another one thru the fence! We had chain link, topped with 2" square wire, dissecting the openings to be little more than 1 - 1.5" tops. Now we have added a third layer of chicken wire on the inside of everything. It's so upsetting when your chickens are your pets, they are so vulnerable and when you do everything to protect them and this still happens....

We know it's a bobcat because we've seen it each time, and it isn't the least bit scared of us.

We live in a far northeast semi-rural area of Phoenix. And we thought coyotes would be the problem but I'm sure our dogs keep them away. These cats are different - stealth and very swift. I'm beginning to think we need a climate controlled human shelter to keep them safe here.

I'm curious to hear what kind of fencing others have used to keep out wild cats ( ? )
I live in Tucson and bobcats have been the hardest and most relentless predator. Even with three dogs - including a Great Pyrenees still in training . Just had one pulled through gap in fencing this morning while I’m vacation. Worse is I know it will be coming back now daily. Let me know what your coop and fencing look like. Best of luck fellow desert dweller

I live in Tucson and bobcats have been the hardest and most relentless predator. Even with three dogs - including a Great Pyrenees still in training . Just had one pulled through gap in fencing this morning while I’m vacation. Worse is I know it will be coming back now daily. Let me know what your coop and fencing look like. Best of luck fellow desert dweller
Check out how far this bob cat jumps !

Back
Top Bottom