Bobcat!! Need help.

Had the exact same problem, you need to make sure the cat can't climb your fence and must be setup properly for an electric fence to work. I lost 15 to a bobcat until I set up my run like below. I used 6 ft deer netting, with many strands of wire. they can't climb the fence. bury some if the netting so they can't get under it, and make sure the fence has a good charger. Never lost another hen, and it been 7 months and I know they are around, cuz I see them. the deer netting is hard to see in picture which is good too, keeps hens in and everything out. good luck.

16627_dsc06187.jpg

Bobcats are bad news. I had one a few years ago. The snow was really deep and it was starving. It busted into the coop, and killed every chicken I had.

The thing was still in there in the morning when I went out to do the chores. I thought it was strange that I didn't hear the hens like I usually did, and I when I opened the door there it was! I frightened it when I screamed, and it lunged at the door just as I slammed it.

For all the years I've had chickens, this was the first time I'd ever lost any to a predator, and it made me realize just how strong they can be when they're hungry. This one tore off some of the heavy wire we had around the window and crawled through a small hole it made in the corner. It was such a tiny hole - I couldn't believe it got through.

If you have a trapper in your area, he might be able to help. Bobcats can be caught fairly easily with a snare or a trap. Sardines and rabbit are good bait.

Best of luck to you,
Kyah

Darn it! I installed a 4KV one not too long ago. My main threat is coons, and it likely will stop them. No one has seen a bobcat around here. I do have a 6 ft fence with 4 courses of hotwire spaced around a foot apart going up. Fence is bonded to ground lead along with copper ground rod, so even the top wire is hot if the bugger is climbing as it would be if he was standing all four feet on the ground. I think a catch and release trap would be just the ticket. Costs more, but foolproof and you can just dispatch them with a .22 to the back of their heads. For sure he has the taste and knows where easy pickin's are. You may see him again.

Back
Top Bottom