Bobcat wipes out my entire flock in 2 hours

I am wondering what happened with the chicken sitter? How do they miss that? I can say from first hand experience how frustrating it is to leave the girls in the hands of others. First bird I ever lost was when I was away. Got a call that a bird was found dead inside the coop. No clue why. Curious, as it never happened before or since. But did happen while I was away with someone else in charge.

The sitter said he didn't know the coop had doors on the back of it but this barn style door would have been obvious it was wide open when you approach the coop/run so it's a mystery to me also how that was overlooked for so many days.

At the end of the day trusting someone else to take care of chickens is rolling the dice. My mother usually takes care of the chickens while I am away but this time she came with me to Vietnam as I had my wedding celebration there.

I had about 15 chickens. I noticed the bobcat would return and even find ones that were sleeping in the nest boxes behind a curtain. What an amazing and intelligent animal.

Looks like I'll have to restart my flock in the spring (is January too early here in Northern California?) and also build a completely enclosed fence around the coop itself to be completely protected. I had never seen this door opened like that. Of course these weird things have to happen while I am gone.

That is terrible. I totally get anxious if I have to be away for more than one night. Seems the only good chicken sitters are home watching their own birds.

My chicken yard is fenced with 2x4 welded wire and a strand of electric wire about 5 inches high all around the outside. Keeps birds in and predators out.

Your signature says San Rafael. Should be fine to start chicks anytime. I started some first week of February, last year. In a travel trailer with only a heating pad (MHP) for heat. It was as cold as 27 F some nights, most days above 40. At 8 weeks I turned of the heat. We still had some nights below 32. They did fine.

That is so horrible, I couldn't watch past the first 30 seconds. I'm sorry for your losses. And maybe have your next sitter give the coop a good look over before locking up. I hope you can get some new ones. :(

I'm so sorry for your loss. That is heartbreaking.

Yes, it happens so quickly. I had a raccoon that cleaned me out of 3 hens before I could trap it and dispense.

Wow...so close in as well. You look suburban. Coyotes and Bobcats are definitely becoming very accustomed to hunting around people's dwellings.

Yes...definitely beef up security. Once they've found your property, its like the word gets out to the network.

Then get yourself another batch of chicks or young pullets. If some of your hens were 8 years of age, you know how to care for them well. This was a very unfortunate happening.

Congratulations on your wedding. So sorry this was a sad ending to your festivities.

LofMc

I'm sorry you lost all your chickens . All my coops and runs are covered . It's just a must do thing . Predators have to eat . I find them to be a beautiful and very necessary part of nature .I am reluctant to kill them . If caught in side my coops I would do it but wouldn't like doing it . 2X4 welded wire is only as good as you make it . Be sure whatever you use to cover a run is securely fastened . Best of luck wit your next flock .

Graphic and horrible to watch. Admittedly also very interesting and informative.

Well, that's it, then. In addition to everything else I need to do, I'm rebuilding the chicken door. It's a standard design, but I never installed what I guess is called a door jamb: the wood strips inside the frame that stop a door from pushing inward. I did for the large people door, but only got as far as installing two latches and left it at that.

I'm now envisioning a different setup for the door for extra security.

Thank you for sharing this, and I'm so sorry this happened.

Back
Top Bottom