Bobcat wipes out my entire flock in 2 hours

Wow, that was horrible. I'm so sorry that happened to you. Those poor chickens, it made my stomach hurt. I only trust two people to watch over my chickens, DH and my sister. :hugs

Long story.. but I was away on vacation for 3 weeks and had someone chicken-sit for me. One of the doors in the rear of the coop was some how opened by the chickens (probably one of the chickens fell off a perch and in trying to hang on put pressure on the door and popped the latch and opened the door). The door remained wide open for 3 days/nights as the chicken sitter didn't notice. It's like leaving your front door wide open in Oakland, CA. Something bad is guaranteed to happen. I am surprised how smart this bobcat is in coming back and again and again to finish each and every one of them. All the chickens were left in one neat pile.

When I returned 3 days after this happened I noticed some noises coming outside my bedroom window at 3am. I turned on my flashlight and I could see the bobcat eating one of the hens (at very end of video). My chickensitter had already told me about my chickens being wiped out so it didn't come as a complete surprise.

Very sad as some of the hens have been with me for 8 years.

is the chicken sitter bonded? if so, I would charge him/her for the price of your birds. That's inexcusable to not see the coop is open if the sitter was really doing his/her job.
Karen

The chickensitter was a neighbor friend. He doesn't think he did anything wrong as he wasn't "aware" the coop had doors on the back of it. He said he would help me build a secure fence around the coop this spring so he will make up for this with providing some construction help. Just goes to show at the end of the day there are very few people you can trust to do a good job especially when life and death depends on it.

Back
Top Bottom