Bobcat wipes out my entire flock in 2 hours

Sorry for your loss. I recently lost 3, half my flock to what turned out to be a Bobcat. I live in town have a fenced yard & have not had a predator loss in the 7 or so years I've had chickens. This is my second flock, just coming to point of lay. This flock for some reason would never roost in the coop from the age of 10 weeks, opting instead to roost in the unsecure but net covered run. I got tired of trying to herd them into the coop at night. When I removed the roosting bar they slept on the ground. I finally relented, returned the roosting bar & let them sleep where they may. Never had a predator problem before,after all!

The other morning I went out to find the gate pulled open, 1 dead at the entrance, 1 missing & the others milling around. I kinda figured a dog or coyote. Took a lot to pull that gate open, there was blood on it where it finally buckled. That day I set up a game camera, baby monitor, beefed up the gate & ordered some of those predator eye thingies. Just as we were headed to bed the chickens started raising a ruckus, by the time I got out there, 2 hens were missing the others were in the corner of the run. After a search, one hen was located laying quietly in the coop. The predator this time went over the fence & under the net. Checking the camera the next morning I found a couple of very poor pictures of the Bobcat. Who would have thought?

That evening at dusk the remaining hens were kinda just milling around, i went in the run I herded them in the coop. The past 2 nights they have gone in themselves but for some reason they are sleeping on the ground. The game camera has captured numerous photos of a domestic cat, no more Bobcat. Still waiting on the predator eyes!

My Sussex don't have a roost. sleep on the ground .very happy just to snuggle in. maybe after this , they feel safer snuggling together on the ground. I wouldn't worry about it.
Karen

I don't know if you have a light in your Coop...but what I did was get a solar light (Portifino, 17.99, Lowe's) and mount outside the window . so the light was shining through the window. that gave Birds just enough light to be able to see each other . if it was a scary noise , they weren't alone in the dark.
Karen

Trap and kill is the only way i also had 10 chickens killed by a raccoon family mostly young ones idk why but I had 26 in all and more chicks in the brooder I was already preparing to hatch alot because predators always come in fall here no matter what you do there is always a gap somewhere so I always save a dozen fertile eggs year round so if something like this happens I can have a backup plan but you should catch and kill if you leave it then you could have a future attack if you relocate it becomes someone else's problem . But I caught 7 raccoons in 4 days had to kill them all no problems since but I know it's gonna be a day I walk out and see feathers laying around just gotta prepare for the worst I've never dealt with a bobcat tho they look horrible tho

Trap and kill is the only way
Unfortunately I live in the SF Bay area where animals are more important than humans. The game warden will not issue me a permit to trap and just told me to secure my chickens better. Of course if that cat was crossing the street and my car somehow ended up putting tread marks on the back of it....

Unfortunately I live in the SF Bay area where animals are more important than humans. The game warden will not issue me a permit to trap and just told me to secure my chickens better. Of course if that cat was crossing the street and my car somehow ended up putting tread marks on the back of it....

haha that would be a tragic accident... I'm sure we'd all feel sad...

:fl

IMG_2112.JPG
This is why I have LGD. Sometimes I leave open a coop and I also have birds roosting outside in the open and in open barns; but due to my dogs, I have no losses to predators. LGD is the way to go. sorry for your great loss. One of my breeds cannot be replaced.

Back
Top Bottom