Bobcat!

I think the point was to use electric so the cat can't climb your 6 ft fence anymore. Ya know? If the cat can't get to your peacocks then they will stop being eaten.

He said it was a privacy fence, I'm guessing that means perimeter/boundary fence separating his yard from the neighbors, that comes with issues...

One many times electric fences are prohibited depending on zoning, in the OPs county electric fence is prohibited if it's a residential district and the property is not primarily being used for agriculture...
http://www.pascocountyfl.net/index.aspx?NID=1271

Second to be effective at preventing the bobcat entry the electric would have to be on the outside of his property aka the neighbors side of the fence... Just a guess but I suspect many neighbors would not be willing to allow you to install electric on their side even if allowed... A double wire on top would just encourage the bobcat to dig under the fence, in the end doing no good...

Three I can't speak for everyone but I wouldn't want my entire backyard fenced in electric...

Four sure he could electrify the area of the pen, but as evidenced by the video that won't do much to protect his pet cat, that the bobcat has apparently taking an interest in...

Five I speak for myself, once a predator no longer has a fear of humans then it becomes a potential danger and liability for me, my children and my animals and thus will be removed from the gene pool...

Well I found out from FWC today that it is legal to shoot them, but it is not legal to trap and shoot.  Weird laws here.  I currently have a hunter in my backyard tracking it.  Fingers crossed.

In Illinois it's a pain the butt to even get a nuisance animal trapping permit and that is the only legal way to trap them outside of trapping season... For a nuisance animal trapping permit you need to justify your need with the application, then you have to have a one on one sit down interview to test your knowledge of capture techniques before they issue the permit...

Much easier (and encouraged) to just have a hunting license (technically needed) and shoot the animal in the act of damage to livestock/pet or danger to someone...

I am
He said it was a privacy fence, I'm guessing that means perimeter/boundary fence separating his yard from the neighbors, that comes with issues...

One many times electric fences are prohibited depending on zoning, in the OPs county electric fence is prohibited if it's a residential district and the property is not primarily being used for agriculture...
http://www.pascocountyfl.net/index.aspx?NID=1271

Second to be effective at preventing the bobcat entry the electric would have to be on the outside of his property aka the neighbors side of the fence... Just a guess but I suspect many neighbors would not be willing to allow you to install electric on their side even if allowed... A double wire on top would just encourage the bobcat to dig under the fence, in the end doing no good...

Three I can't speak for everyone but I wouldn't want my entire backyard fenced in electric...

Four sure he could electrify the area of the pen, but as evidenced by the video that won't do much to protect his pet cat, that the bobcat has apparently taking an interest in...

Five I speak for myself, once a predator no longer has a fear of humans then it becomes a potential danger and liability for me, my children and my animals and thus will be removed from the gene pool..
I'm so glad you understand, and you thanks for doing the research on electric fences in my locale. I had a friend who is a hog hunter here last night, he sat on the roof with a night scope and the whole set up, but unfortunately "Bobby da cat" decided to not show up. 2nd night in a row, so I'm thinking it has found another flock to feed on for the time being. One thing I do know is it WILL be back.

Good luck trying to solve your bobcat problem. We have been battling bobcats for many years. The best thing we have found is to have a secured pen for your birds. A few months ago we also put up an electric fence and we have had no more bobcats in our yard (knocking on wood) since. Just remember they will come out during the day if they are hungry enough or feeding babies. They are very stealthy and will lay and watch for hours waiting for the right opportunity. Here's some of our pictures. Notice some are during the day.
In this one the bobcat is looking right at our chickens. They were safe because he couldn't get to them. Love 1/2" hardware cloth!

Please keep us posted and sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for sharing. I am beginning to think that it has moved on, as it hasn't been around for 4 nights now. I have all my birds penned, even during the day when I'm not home, as I have a feeling it will strike when I let my guard down again. What a shame, I've been free-ranging for 9 years without a problem.

Back
Top Bottom