Bobcats

I did check here in Florida and if a predator is threatening your livestock, you have a right to shoot it.
Get the definition of "threatening?" The mere presence of a predator isn't always considered a threat.

I live in rural mountain land where everyone keeps to themselves. But I still try to know the law so if a busy body neighbor questions anything, i know my footing is solid.

Plus as a hunter, I am a conservationist. I don't kill anything I don't have to for food, defense of my family, or for population management.

Last edited:
Get the definition of "threatening?" The mere presence of a predator isn't always considered a threat.

I live in rural mountain land where everyone keeps to themselves. But I still try to know the law so if a busy body neighbor questions anything, i know my footing is solid.

Plus as a hunter, I am a conservationist. I don't kill anything I don't have to for food or defense of my family
If an predator is after my birds they don't last long. They are a threat. They will be back for another try. I have my coops and pens pretty predator proof. Lessons learned the hard way. I have hunted in the past but no more.

did not notice how small there feet are, what type of foot hold you using?

sorry don't got many bobcats here way more lynx where i trap.
I used #1 and some a bit larger but don't remember the size. I will have to go out and get them down and look. We are rural and some of the neighbors are selling parcels of their property and quite a few new homes have been built, now I only use live traps.

What if the predator comes at night? What if a neighbors house is in the background of the shot? What if the predator is protected or endangered? It seems quite lazy to disregard these contingencies because you don't want to improve your predator deterrence. Also, adding a few posts and one hot line around a perimeter wouldn't take a whole weekend in 90% of backyard setups. More like an hour or two. Minimal effort, your animals are safer, more wild animals get to keep being wild...Where's the downside? Who loses? The gun happy people who don't get to shoot their toys that day.

Why do you assume that people who chose to protect their livestock are just randomly shooting at anything that moves with no regard to neighbors etc? Or that their coop set up is weak?

A gun is a tool. It serves a purpose. No need to be so judgmental of people who choose to deal with predators as they have been dealt with for hundreds of years.
Life is not a Disney movie.

Why do you assume that people who chose to protect their livestock are just randomly shooting at anything that moves with no regard to neighbors etc? Or that their coop set up is weak?

A gun is a tool. It serves a purpose. No need to be so judgmental of people who choose to deal with predators as they have been dealt with for hundreds of years.
Life is not a Disney movie.
Yes thank you, My coop is really strong however, I don't want (or have) to test it b/c I shoot the predators. And I went through gun classes, and have owned a gun since I was 8 (well bb gun), my point is I am safe, and good at shooting, so like Chicnmom said, my gun is my tool.

Firearms have their place in home/stock protection from all threats. Gun ownership comes with inherent and immense responsibility. Unfortunately, the news is filled daily with the "bad apples" that reflect poor gun use and give us responsible gun owners a bad image.

I too grew up hunting and have handled Firearms from a very early age. I shoot coyotes every chance I get and try to take at least 1 or 2 fox a year to protect the rabbit population that I hunt and use for food. But that doesn't mean every "predator" wandering by is a threat that requires termination.
I love the fact that I have bobcats on my land and only hope that one day i get to see one in person instead of just on my trail cams. We have grey fox, which in my opinion are the most beautiful of the family. A red fox crossing a snow covered field in late winter with its rusty back and black sox or seeing a 250-300 lb black bear stand on its hind legs makes me pause and appreciate the privilege of living where I do.
Yet, I don't shoot them just because they are there. I shoot coyotes because we are overrun with them. They kill countless fawns and wild turkey poults each year and if we want those populations to remain healthy, the coyotes require management not extermination.

Humans have been the most destructive force our environments have ever seen. If you destroy an animals habitat leaving it no choice but to search for prey wherever it can find it, how can we then blame it when it comes after our chickens?

I'm not saying that you don't defend your property. But if your coop/run are "secure," then how is the predator outside out it a threat?
I have literally watched a bear pulling on the windows of my coop and never once felt that my chickens were in danger. After about a minute or so he gave up and walked off. Why would he need to die? No harm was done.
I'm not trying to be a pompous a$$ here, just saying that like a gun, we have many tools available to deter predators all of which should be exhausted before determining if death is the right answer and, yes, sometimes it is the only option left for determined animals so long as its legal and safe to do so.

There is a one year old on my property, if I see a bear it would be dead. Every one has a different idea of 'threat', and mine is were it does not belong and that is in my yard.
However everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion.

Back
Top Bottom