Bobcats

Yes thank you, My coop is really strong however, I don't want (or have) to test it b/c I shoot the predators. And I went through gun classes, and have owned a gun since I was 8 (well bb gun), my point is I am safe, and good at shooting, so like Chicnmom said, my gun is my tool.

I will start this by saying that I am a 32 year-old adult that grew up in rural East Texas on 113 acres with a lot of wildlife. I have also shot many firearms, so I do not have an issue with gun ownership. I do however think they should be used responsibly, when needed. I kept chickens and many other varieties of poultry. I did not lose them to predators. Why? Because their coops and pens were secure and I had outside dogs. Additionally, I find wildlife in general to respect open areas, cleared of debris when they are not accustomed to human interaction. Picking up brush piles, keeping a neat, short lawn, pruning back trees, keeping fence lines clean, etc. all contribute to making wildlife feel unwelcome and uncomfortable. Electric fencing can also be used to great effect. If it takes you an entire weekend to put one up around a single chicken coop you're taking too many breaks, or you don't know what you're doing. If a predator cannot get into your coop then they aren't a danger to your birds. There is literally no reason to shoot them. A gun may be a tool, but your brain should be also.

I am not going to even bother quoting the (insert name here) that suggested putting out poison that would indiscriminately kill anything that drinks it.

And please do not get me started on people who think that because they are humans that somehow entitles them to have 'dominion' over the earth. By that same token one would assume that a benevolent god would expect mankind to behave in a similar matter. Shooting things because you can and finding religious, moral, or other means of supporting the behavior is uneducated and foolish and could in turn be used to justify things far more grave....

I am not trying to find religious support, nor do I shoot thing because I can, I try to model a Godly life styal (particularly in this issue we are discussing) and that involves killing. Jesus killed sheep to cloth the first man, Adam and eve. I also take it you are not a christian by the way that you don't capitalize the g in God. Which means everything I just said about God and Adam and eve means nothing to you, so we might just need to drop it here.
And btw I don't shoot just for fun, I shoot to protect my livestock and family.

I am not trying to find religious support, nor do I shoot thing because I can, I try to model a Godly life styal (particularly in this issue we are discussing) and that involves killing. Jesus killed sheep to cloth the first man, Adam and eve. I also take it you are not a christian by the way that you don't capitalize the g in God. Which means everything I just said about God and Adam and eve means nothing to you, so we might just need to drop it here.
Why didn't you capitalize EVE. Is she not as important as Adam. Says a lot about you I believe.

Wow. Ok. We diverged from the topic a long time ago but were at least still speaking of chicken predation. I don't think questioning ones religious beliefs is proper or necessary for this forum.

Incidentally, and correct me if im wrong, but Adam and Eve first clothed themselves with fig leaves and were later given animal skins by God. Jesus did not arrive on earth for nearly another 4000 years. Im not a biblical scholar and haven't been in Sunday school for 30yrs so just going off of memory here.

Let's all move on shall we.

1611777840932.png

Very well.

To the OP, keep your birds in a secure pen/coop and you won't have to worry about the bobcat or her youngsters. Secure pens involve predator/anti-dig aprons, a strong roof, ensuring the birds are safely indoors at night or using wire with spacing so small a predator is unable to reach through and strong enough to prevent a carnivore from breaching it. The addition of an electric fence as a deterrent (suggested by cmom) will round out a predator-proof run. If you allow the birds to free-range, predation is a risk you are willing to take. Personally my birds stay penned and enjoy time out when I am outside working and have the ability to keep an eye on them. Two when I can spare them.

View attachment 2505158

Very well.

To the OP, keep your birds in a secure pen/coop and you won't have to worry about the bobcat or her youngsters. Secure pens involve predator/anti-dig aprons, a strong roof, ensuring the birds are safely indoors at night or using wire with spacing so small a predator is unable to reach through and strong enough to prevent a carnivore from breaching it. The addition of an electric fence as a deterrent (suggested by cmom) will round out a predator-proof run. If you allow the birds to free-range, predation is a risk you are willing to take. Personally my birds stay penned and enjoy time out when I am outside working and have the ability to keep an eye on them. Two when I can spare them.
I hit the ground with a stick every morning and tell all the animals around me "you shall not pass!" 😂

View attachment 2505158

Very well.

I personally like to sleep soundly without worrying about every noise outside being a predator trying to get my birds. So, all my pens are 1x1 inch welded wire or smaller, sides, top, bottom.

I don't like to be listening for predators when I'm in the house, or worrying about predators when I am not home, so the birds only get to free range when I am there with them.

After I built my cages, my doctor noticed on my next visit that my blood pressure had dropped to normal range. So, for me, the extra predator-proofing and better predator-avoidance habits were totally worthwhile.

BTW, I do notice that both the foxes and the bobcats mark my cages, as their territory, I guess. But no chickens are missing or damaged, so that's okay with me!

Back
Top Bottom