Bobtail x MF Cochin Bantams

So putting bobtails on a wheaten based color wouldn’t work. Do you agree with using Partridge perhaps?
No. I don't think Partridge will improve it. If the Partridge are better in type, you’ll lose all that just trying to breed the partridge out. Nothing but hatching numbers and picking the best will improve them.

No. I don't think Partridge will improve it. If the Partridge are better in type, you’ll lose all that just trying to breed the partridge out. Nothing but hatching numbers and picking the best will improve them.
Okay thank you. I’ll probably breed Cashew and Casey, despite the risk

You could try breeding in a red, buff, or mottled to get better type while staying pretty close to the original coloring. You’d have to backcross to mille fleur, but you would get more genetic diversity.

You could try breeding in a red, buff, or mottled to get better type while staying pretty close to the original coloring. You’d have to backcross to mille fleur, but you would get more genetic diversity.
I’ve been told by some breeders that their color is great. It’s just the flowering. They should get more as they age, though, and the mottled color can give too much black. I think it’s worth a try after I get things going with these guys seriously. But I know Matt mccammon has really good type and colored mottleds, so it could work. And it all depends on the color red or buff, how close to these guys. But, yeah, it could probably give me a boost. I’d probably go with mottled though because it gives more flowering

A little update here.
So MattMcCammon doesn’t ship eggs or chicks, but he probably has birds readily available. Thing is, I’d probably have to drive all the way there, which is too far for me. In correction to my first post, I’ve compared my two birds to the ones closest matching the SOP on Cochinsint. Turns out, the hen is way better in type, the opposite of what I previously assumed. But both their combs are messed up (cock is missing a point and hen has an extra growing off of one of hers) and their flowering is pretty crappy. Not enough black or white on the hen, and the same on the rooster in a smaller scale. Here are some better pics of them (hen
6F037AFB-70BD-4F50-9DCE-8D045A0C441F.jpeg D17C4651-C583-4260-8F35-EF2C3246900C.jpeg BF088168-FBAE-4B0C-896C-0111E591E97E.jpeg E24CC303-0ADD-4F70-856F-B306B52DFD9C.jpeg 7775A40D-24BC-479F-80E8-9A28E46155F5.jpeg 4CDBCFE0-3FFD-4E2D-8FD8-253CD44158C5.jpeg
I wrote an article about the MF Cochin Bantam and assessing these guys and writing my breeding plans (which i just told y’all) if you want to check it out.

Do you know the genetics of your birds?
I'm not seeing an issue with partridge.
Looks like you've moved past the BT idea. I would of too
I also would not use mottled birds.
What varieties could you access?

Do you know the genetics of your birds?
I'm not seeing an issue with partridge.
Looks like you've moved past the BT idea. I would of too
I also would not use mottled birds.
What varieties could you access?
I only have MFs currently, but will get some BQ or SQ Blacks this summer. They are wheaten based (yellow chick down) BT probably wasn’t a good idea. I just had remembered that MFs are made up of Buff Columbian x Mottled. Why wouldn’t you personally use Mottled?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-opinion-of-the-mf-cochin-bantam.76641/ look at intro for parents and grandparents. We just bred.

I wouldn't use mottled because IMO why?
They are so far from MF genetically. The only thing they have that you would want is mottling.
Why lose have the genes you need and bring in others you'd have to breed out just for mottling that you already have.
I can't wrap my head around the concept.

Back
Top Bottom