Bobwhite Bullying

quailheart

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
Saint Louis, MO
I have 18 bobwhites in a 4x8 cage. There is 7 males and 11 females (I know I shouldn't have that many males together) Recently the males have been fighting a lot. There are 4 dominant males and they keep on scaring the other 3 into the nesting boxes and won't let them come out even to eat or drink. If they do go out they just get chased back in. Any ideas on what I should do?

I have 18 bobwhites in a 4x8 cage. There is 7 males and 11 females (I know I shouldn't have that many males together) Recently the males have been fighting a lot. There are 4 dominant males and they keep on scaring the other 3 into the nesting boxes and won't let them come out even to eat or drink. If they do go out they just get chased back in. Any ideas on what I should do?

The males are likely less of a problem than the females. I've read that the females choose the males, not the other way around. The males tend to get along okay if there aren't excess females and enough room for them all to have a bit of space. I'd separate the extra females that don't seem bonded to any males and see if that affects things.

Bobwhites should be kept in male-female pairs. You can have multiple pairs if your enclosure is big enough, but you should have an even number of males to females.
Sorry, this may sound like a silly question but is 4x8 4 foot by 8 foot? I'm just not very familiar with imperial measurements.
Also, if you could post a picture of your enclosure we may be more helpful.

From what I've read Bobwhites need separate cages for each pair during the breeding season. Outside of the breeding season they will gather in a covey but if they are breeding they become very aggressive towards other Bobwhites. It can result in birds being bullied or killed if they aren't given their space to breed in peace.

"Bobwhites mate for life. The female picks the male, not the other way around. And because they mate for life, they need to be kept in pairs only, separated from other pairs all throughout the breeding season. They are seasonal layers and breeding season starts in mid spring and runs through mid fall. Bobwhites can and will kill lone females, so never keep them in trios or allow pairs to live in close quarters with each other during this time. Ever. They are highly territorial and aggressively defend their territory. After breeding season is over, Bobwhites will come together for the winter covey and at this time you CAN mix them together to spend the cold winter months together. Friends reunite, grudges are let go and they all enjoy the company of their large group."
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-raise-bobwhite-quail.66972/

Yes. 4x8 is 4 by 8 feet. Here is a picture of the enclosure (sorry its so messy) and the 3 males that are hiding...
yv1tvzNZII84stFxR4Vp5jnIpkfF3m8HLThidmHaaUDD64roS4MYBLjNt6voQY4F9hBO6jm1nVl_qC6nm-Dm4Qg1Qmtm_V61kvBAaesMyYUMLRf-sHlq7KfpOu-J54w-jVkZYtRb

64HOHNR-SrkXLDrdwSQOT4TxKI3LqzNscLA8ZRO13xbcrUqaRTPQeTtbT8PKp1Xl7vEBQGrIX1oeIVDmrWDGN4fE5wtHRMHnJXmj0MbKfavPL_OFxH09HCflzekraE-PLPlhcuzR

I just hatched them last Spring so they are all 1 year old. If I do need to seperate them I have another enclosure that's just as big as this one that I could use.

Back
Top Bottom