Bobwhite folks- what do you feed your birds?

Woofless

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2010
SD
Just curious on what everybody feeds their quail, from "fuzzball" stage on up to maturity??

The breeder I bought my hatchlings from sent me home with a bucket of his feed & reccomended I use a feed available at a local feed store (Kent Feeds' Poultry 27, has 27% protein). They are 12 days old & doing well on it so far....I had 100, lost a handful in the first few days but they seem to have stabilized....I have about 75 left with no deaths in 5 days- and they're starting to FLY now!!

What kind of food does everyone else feed? I'm curious partly because I frequent other farm stores for other necessities, not that the feed store is out of the way, but it's an extra trip sometimes....it'd be nice to fit all my errands into fewer trips. But I don't know which other feeds are suitable for quail, I'm just sticking with what the breeder told me for now!

Do you feed adult quail anything different than you feed growing quail, or do their protein needs stay the same as adults? Is there a difference in feed requirements if the quail are being used for breeding, eggs, meat or what have you? Mine are mostly going to be for dog training, but I may pick a few breeding pairs & see if I can hatch a few eggs, just for grins & giggles.

Thanks in advance for your input!!
smile.png

We feed ours bobwhites startena until 16 weeks then switch to layena. I also put vitamins in their water from first hatch. Don't have too many problems.

Last edited:
Purina Startrena From Hatch To Dispatch. It Should Be Noted... You Will See Thousands Of Posts On Here Covering Protien Needs Of Quail In All Stages Of Life, There's More To It Than Just Protien- They Are Gamebirds, Not Chickens And Have Very Different Nutritional Needs. Any Quality Gamebird Starter Will Do Fine By Them. Nutrena And Purina Both Make Gamebird Feeds In A Variety Of Formulas And Are Available Nationwide. I'm Sure There Are At Least A Few Other Brands Available As Well Tho The Smaller Ones May Be More Of A Regional Availability Thing...

I feed mine turkey starter/gamebird crumbles (I grind them up in a coffee grinder for the first couple weeks) and then I add lay mash and finch mix when they are about a month old and up. Also when they are adults I give them spinach, orange wedges and cabbage, they really love the greens. I also put liquid vitamins in their water for the first couple days and when they are laying eggs. Good luck:)

Back
Top Bottom