Bobwhite Help URGENT Please!!

Sand Hill

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2015
Hugoton, KS
Hello everyone!! Are there any stickies or information other than what's provided in the BYC Learning Center that pertain directly to Northern Bobwhites? We currently have 150 5 week old chicks and I am needing all the help I can get. With so much conflicting info on the net I feel like the advice on this forum is some that I can really trust! Thanks so much in advance :)

Why do they sleep so close together? People on another site tell me they are too cold but the temp never changes. They are inside our house and not subject to drafts. We have two identical pens set up at 74 degrees. One pen moves while the others huddle and then vice versa. I've had people tell me they can go outside at this age and people tell us that they have to stay at 70 degrees forever. My biggest question must be where to find reliable info regarding conditions per age

Can you attach a picture of them sleeping like you are worried about?

I find that lots of people have different opinions regarding temperatures, etc. too.
They definately do NOT have to stay at 70 forever.

I have always raised my Bobs outside in a Johnny House. Outside, no heat, but are always later in the year. Still 75° should be fine at that age.

What are the chicks in? What are the chicks being used for? Where did the chicks come from?

Pen raised Bobs are pretty hearty and can tolerate temp fluctuations.

Last edited:

This is how they seem to sleep. They get up walk around, eat,drink and then huddle together.

Last edited:

This is how they seem to sleep. They get up walk around, eat,drink and then huddle together.

Are they one layer deep, or piled up? If they are one layer deep, sleeping like that is normal. If they are piled up, they may be too cold.

Are they one layer deep, or piled up?   If they are one layer deep, sleeping like that is normal.  If they are piled up, they may be too cold.

Just one layer! Thank you!! That's what I thought but was told they were too cold. I just couldn't believe they were cold at those temps and conditions.

Welcome,
My bobs huddle like that, and they are 10 months old. I can't tell from the photo, but you want to make sure there is no cross breeze going through the cage. Here is a link that will be of assistance.
Good luck,
James

Back
Top Bottom