Bobwhite Quail can make excellent house pets.

That's hilarious! Toffee puffs up all his feathers and charges at people! I wish he didn't do that, but I also know its very natural for him to go into protective mode against anyone he views as an invader.

So, I guess I'm the only other member of his little covey. Both his quail parents are in an outside building.... along with another pair. The 4 of them were artificially incubated and spoiled by me.... and quite gentle. It's cozy and heated of course, because its freezing here.

But Toffee is definitely the King Quail around here!

I loved stalking this thread! Toffee looks so handsome in his suit!

I'm a new (and unexpected) Bobwhite Quail human :) Only 1 of our dozen eggs hatched. Our plan was to release, but Omelette ran out of the woods screaming for us and chasing us last weekend when we tried. So.. I'm reading everything I can to figure out how to be a good Bobwhite human. Poop was a big question of mine.

So a flight suit, huh? Is this the site where you purchased? Avian Fashions FlightSuits Bird Diapers: http://www.flightquarters.com/bird-diapers/category/flightsuit-bird-diapers.html
It looks like a cute outfit with a panty liner inside. Does the poop stick to him? Is a parrot large adjustable? Omelette is 12 weeks so has another month of growing from what I understand.

Also, would you all mind telling me about your habitats?

p.s. Omelette really is an amazing pet. She likes to hang out on top of the TV or cuddle next to us on the couch or on our heads. She'll sit on the pillow forever if you keep petting her. And she gets along fine with my older cat.

Hi Kendradillon,
I've been told that Omelette has "imprinted" on us (even though they technically dont?) because there were no other quail around. So I would try separating that baby and see what happens. Keep us posted! If you want to see Omelette, I post a lot of pics on instagram.com/mylilzoo

There is a book called "That quail, Robert" about a guy with a pet quail. Haven't read it ,but it's been recommended to me.

"That Quail, Robert" is great! I bought it from Amazon after Omelette decided she was staying.

Omelette is a hen - Bobwhite (just like Robert, who ended up being a female.)

Oh it heartens me to see your little fella.
I lost my baby last week to a map pin :'( Everyday is hard.
We have a lovely house quail community on instagram if you care to join us?
http://instagram.com/quinctagram
You can share in the joys of these sweet little birds. I've found it really helpful in our time of grief.
Please be careful of pieces of metal/map pins. The round bit is just like a seed :(

Back
Top Bottom