1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bobwhite Quail can make excellent house pets.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by PIDGY, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Quail lady

Quail lady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    Adelaide
  2. PIDGY

PIDGY Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    Ohio
    Hello, fellow Bobwhite Mum,

Sorry for the very late reply, but I have not checked BYC in awhile. Congratulations on having your sweet little Omelette! My Toffee is the best avian pet I have ever had. He is extremely spoiled, as well. Yes, I do purchase his flight suits from Avian Fashions. I buy size large parrot suits, and they fit him quite well. The only problem I have with that is, Toffee has figured out how to get out of his suits. He wears them only when I let him roam around the house during the day. I change him approximately every 3 hours, so he won't end up with "poo bum". I use sensitive wipies to wipe him off. I also have a chinchilla dustbathing house for him. The chinchi dust works very well to keep his feathers clean. He loves it, but there is usually a small dust mess I have to sweep up with the dustbuster. Toffee is an amazing little guy. You will have so much joy in raising Omelette! I feed him Game Bird crumbles and Bird Seeds, that I also purchase for my exotic birds. I also add some bird grit. He has the run of the house, and he has gotten good at traversing the two flights of stairs leading to the second floor. I do not take him outside, but he loves to sit on the window sills and watch nature.
    Recently, his father injured his leg. Now he shares his large pet cage with his father and best bird friend (my female Gambel's Quail). They all get along very well. Toffee is out most of the time though. At night, I will let him sleep on his own huge bed pillow, on the floor at the foot of my bed. I really hope Omelette is adjusting well. It isn't necessary for her to have a quail companion. Toffee did quite good without for a long time. The strangest friendship also developed with him and my cat, Winston. They became pals! Winston's a little different though.... he's been raised with birds, so he will only chase wild ones. And, they normally dive-bomb attack him while he's outside!!
    Best of Luck with Omelette. I hope to hear an update!

Pidgy

3. PIDGY

PIDGY Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    Ohio
    I have been away from BYC for awhile, so I hope your little one is doing well. If you read some of my replies, etc, it will give you a good idea as to how you can raise your little one by reading my experience with my Toffee. Let me know how it went!

Pidgy

4. PIDGY

PIDGY Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    Ohio
    Do you mind me asking what happened with your little girl? I saw the "we will miss you" item on your instagram. I really enjoyed seeing the photos!

Pidgy

5. PIDGY

PIDGY Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    Ohio
    Pidgy here!

My Toffee is still quite the little "KING of the CASTLE"! It is 2015, and he is still with me. I recently brought his father inside due to leg injury. He also lost his mate about 6 weeks prior. So, Toffee has the chance to spend time with him and my female Gambel Quail, but he always prefers to be running around my house and following me. He is piddle pad trained, so I have a piddle pad laid down in a corner of my kitchen, and other rooms he likes to hang around in. He primarily wears his flight suits though.

I look forward to hearing all your quail updates and seeing photos!

Pidgy

6. clawstar

clawstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    How did you train him???

7. PIDGY

PIDGY Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    Ohio
    Hi,

Well, all I really did to train Toffee to go on piddle pads was placing paper towels in the areas I wanted to teach him to go to. I waited until he was fully-feathered, before I first began doing it. I also placed little dishes with water and seeds nearby each training area. I kept placing him on the paper towels and taught him to go to his feeders. After continually keeping him on this routine for a few weeks, he figured out where to go to eat and drink on his own. He naturally liked sitting on the paper towels too, for some reason. And, this is all I really had to do. He still has accidents at times, when I don't have his flight suit on.... but not too often. Once he was fully-grown, I graduated him to piddle pads with a layer of paper towels on top. He was a very good little learner. The flight suits are also terrific though. Toffee surprised me with learning to go on piddle pads. I think quail are much smarter than people believe. Additionally, they are terrific house pets.... if you hand-raise them from the day they hatch. I have had a lot of success.

All the Best!!!!

8. clawstar

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Yah I hatched 3 out of a dozen eggs last year, then they all died in a week :( I will try better feed next time

9. PIDGY

PIDGY Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    Ohio
    Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your little ones being lost. I can tell you, that I started Toffee on Chick Starter feed and boiled eggs. Once he was adult, I began Game Bird crumbles and parakeet seeds for a treat. I hope that your next babies do well. Don't forget that it's also so important to keep them warm and dry too. I held Toffee a lot also, to have him imprint on me.

Pidgy

10. clawstar

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    I keep them vary warm, but not good enough feed :( try again this summer...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by