Bobwhite Quail Help Needed

chickenguru

Chirping
9 Years
May 24, 2010
Kentwood La.
I did a search on the forum here and maybe I did not dig deep enough but today I just am not up to
sitting here too long trying to find anything.(My medicine has me about knocked out)

Anyways Saturday (9-18-10) I went and picked up some day old bobwhite quail chicks. I did not
want to fool with them this young to begin with but had a few of my chicken customers that
specifically asked for bobwhite chicks so I tried to accomodate them the best I could. They were
doing great when I picked them up and most of them still are.
One person has already picked up his 30 quail and I still have the other persons 50. I went ahead and bought 100
chicks to allow for a few to maybe die. I think I have lost about 12 or so.
What I need to know is how to set up the brooder for them and am I feeding them right? I am feeding a 30% gamebird
starter. I have 3 big waterers that I keep fresh water in and they are fixxed so that the quail cannot drown.
I have raised lots of chicks and guineas and have raised pharaoh but never bobwhites.
If anyone can give me some advice I would appreciate it or even if you all could give me a link to a topic
that would help a lot.
Thanks in advance for the help.
HG

I have a friend who raised some and he said that they really need to be kept warm or they will die. I have only raised a couple a few years ago, I did not have any problems with them and still have them now. The food and water sound fine. Good Luck!

I had troubles with them dying off too.I asked the breeder about them,and he said they are lacking sulfa something.He told me to give them sulmet at least once a week.I did and they stopped dying.He must of experienced this before.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom