Bobwhite Quail Housing and Aggression

I have raise Coturnix quail many times with no problems. But I bought 750 bobwhite chicks and am floor brooding them. They seem to be dropping like flies even though I have given them space and heat. I have some that just lay there while they get pecked and eaten alive. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I keep them in a 10×10 room. I have 8 brooder lights surounding the perimeter. Made sure there were no corners. I have no shavings on the floor only plywood. The temp under the lights are 115 f. The center of the room is 91f. Even though there are plenty of lights the try and fit all under one. I have had huge losses.

Thats only enough space for a few hundred chicks. Bobs want about 1/2 sq ft per chick or thereabout. 115 is way too hot. They fall asleep under the light and itll cook them.

How many feeders/waterers are you running?

When someone is seeing large losses of chicks i usually look to enteritis or coccidosis, since both like to grow in brooders when feces builds up. You can read about them at the poultrysite.com/diseaseinfo. Sorry i cant be more helpful atm im working from my phone

Its ok. I thank you for the help. Ive lost close to half of my 750 chicKs. Im thinking its because the brooding is to drafty. Ive brooded huge amounts of coturnix this way without fault but these guys are different. Im going to build boxes on the wall to hold 50-60 each then put them on the floor after 3 weeks. I have a room that is 16x25 that I could use. How many do you think can fit in there?

Any update on how your chicks did? It seems like a l ot of birds and a lot of loss. What did you learn from that experience?

Its ok. I thank you for the help. Ive lost close to half of my 750 chicKs. Im thinking its because the brooding is to drafty. Ive brooded huge amounts of coturnix this way without fault but these guys are different. Im going to build boxes on the wall to hold 50-60 each then put them on the floor after 3 weeks. I have a room that is 16x25 that I could use. How many do you think can fit in there?

Back
Top Bottom