Bobwhite Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lowcountrypoultry, Nov 4, 2008.

1. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Ugh... [​IMG]

Looks like I've been bitten by the Bobwhite Quail fever again.

I have had Bobwhite quail many times in the past, but everytime I get them I end up letting them go, etc...

Well I am thinking about getting them again, and was wondering.. If I bought Bobwhite quail now... would they be laying eggs by spring?

And if I do have Bobwhite I am thinking about keeping them in a breeding battery, like this one...

https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=25

Main question is, anything I need to know? And should I keep them in a cage like above?

Thanks

-Austin

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    yep they will be laying in the spring for you! [​IMG]

as for those pens, not sure as I haven't raised them or done much research on their housing...but i know for certain they'll lay for you in the spring. As they mature at 16-20 weeks old.

I assume you'll be getting adults or young adults if you get them now...as I assume since their laying season is over you wont be hatching any. Even if you were to get eggs, they'd be mature by march if i figured it out right. [​IMG] So yep...spring eggies!

Niki

3. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I will be getting eggs, I know a place that sells year-round.

Anyone else got any advice?

4. BaJa

BaJa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2017
    Norwich, Ontario
    I do. keep them in a natural cage on the ground, with lots of natural things like grasses, logs, rocks, and sand. Bobwhites really need that to be happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by