Bobwhite update: sexing them

Woodey2

Songster
Jul 8, 2018
Virginia, USA
I am looking to see what I have. This group has 3 that are 9 weeks old and 2 that are eight weeks old.

So what do I have?
IMG_6226.JPG
IMG_6227.JPG

There is only one group of 5. I have heard no crowing. Do they crow? I was afraid that i was going to have more males than females. I have another group of 7 but they are only 4 weeks old.

I will work on a few other pictures.

There is only one group of 5. I have heard no crowing. Do they crow? I was afraid that i was going to have more males than females. I have another group of 7 but they are only 4 weeks old.

I will work on a few other pictures.
Yeah, males will call "Bobwhite" females will whistle what I call the "lost call" which is a series of whistles that could be translated or sounds like "white". They do this when locating other quail in the area and the males will make this call also. I have never heard a female call "Bobwhite". Both gender will make a chirping sound when food is found and an anxious chirping sound when alarmed.
The male will have a black cap on top of it's head with a black eye stripe and white throat. The females have the same pattern but the color is a buff color.

Bobwhites are loaded with different calls, chirps, giggles, they have quite the vocabulary! As Sean said, they don't "Crow" per say, males give the Bob-bob-white!" call when attracting a female. Once they pair up, they rarely call again unless the female dies and he goes looking for a new mate. (They mate for life with one bird) Females have a screechy half Bob white call when locating their mates or are stressed. But if you watch and listen to them, all day they will be talking amongst themselves making all kinds of quiet sounds.

Back
Top Bottom