Bobwhites in PA?

Bettacreek

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
Alright, I know that I've heard that these things have regulations in PA. I'm looking at the Hovabator 1588 with quail eggs, and I think they're bobwhites. I would still like to hatch them out just for fun, but, if I need a license or inspection or anything crazy like that to sell them, then I'll save my $6 and get everything through Cutlersupply.com instead. So, anyone know what the regulations/laws are on them?

you can raise bobwhites for your own personal use (like to eat) but you cannot release or sell them without permits (well you CAN but it's illegal
lau.gif
)!

Pennsylvania
A person must obtain a permit authorizing the propagation of a wild bird or a wild animal, which is presently found in a wild state. Fee $25.00 for one species and $10.00 for each additional species.

34 PA. CONS. STAT. § 2930

I only know this from the FFA project and I had to get a breeders license to sell or trade them. If I want to keep them myself it is the 10 bucks. Anyone you sell to has to have a license too.

In Missouri it is 50.00 total any species and 10.00 up to 50 birds.

Here is another thread from another site discussing this very issue. http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=909091

Last edited:
Quote:
bartering and trading is not permitted either without a permit
sad.png

but i have to disagree with ya fudgie a little bit!
smile.png
I've talked to some bobwhite breeders a person who gets birds from a licensed bobwhite breeder gets a number with the bird they dont need a license as long as they never give away, trade, barter, sell or release the birds. Now if they do want to do any of that they must get a permit.
smile.png
Its the same for some wildlife too...you can get them froma licesnsed breeder you just cannot sell them trade or release them
smile.png

Lol. Monarc, I do plan to use extra buttons and coturnix for the snakes, but, like you said, I might as well wait on the coturnix and buttons, instead of spending extra money on the bobwhites for that purpose. If I could sell/trade the bobwhites, then that would be one thing, if I had a few extras that wouldn't sell/trade and then feed them off, but to spend the extra money and ONLY be able to use them for snake food, just isn't worth it IMO, especially when I can use that $6 for quail that I might be able to keep or raise for meat for myself as well. I just like having my options open, lol.
I just have to be careful with hubby with the whole pets vs. food, he already has some buttons picked out that he says are PETS and not food (fortunately, they were the two little boys that I had already planned on keeping, lmao). I just hope he doesn't pick a bunch out that I don't already plan on keeping, lol. Unless, of course, if it's a hen, I could always use a few extra hens for eggs. He did the same thing with the rats. I only need one male rat, but right now I have three adults. One I want to keep around just to get the rex gene, and I want to make sure that I get at least two girls to make it before I get rid of him (he has a 3 day old litter now, so he'll soon be gone). The other one is an albino, who I needed to breed with a himalayan girl so that I could pick out any with the points and later breed for a siamese, but then he'll be leaving. Then, the third boy will apparantly be staying, but I also need to keep a siamese male for a breeder later in the future. Hubby doesn't like rats, but he picked that one out and likes it, lol. Then, we have a litter growing out right now, it's about three weeks old, and guess what the hubby does? Picks out a little boy and says that it's staying too! Why couldn't he at least pick freaking females?! It would have been one thing if the little black boy carried the siamese/himalayan gene, but nooo, he had to pick one from the litter that only carries albino and blue (it's a son of the blue male that he claimed awhile ago, lol)!

As for the bobwhites "escaping", lol, I still wouldn't be able to "utilize" them if I did that. Might as well save the $6 and not have to deal with the problem altogether. Shame too, it would have been nice to hatch out another random bird, lol.

Back
Top Bottom