Boil on chicken foot

jhardi95616

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 21, 2008
Hi there.
Just noticed that one of my chickens has a growing absece or boil on her foot. It seems to be getting larger. What is it? What shoul I do?

Thanks!

Look on the bottom of her foot. If there is a black scab, it's bumblefoot, a staph infection of the foot caused by bacteria getting into an abrasion on the foot pad. Causes the entire foot to swell when untreated. Do a search on bumblefoot and you'll find how to treat it.

Thank you so much. I'll do a search for Bumblefoot.
Just went out and gave her antibiotics in her water and she drank it. I'm thinking that probably woulnd't hurt her.

Jason

Hi SpeckledHen! Thanks for the information.

Read about bumblefoot. Now I guess I've got to treat it.

Read that I should lance the boil, pack it in Neosporin and treat systemically with anti-biotics. Is this what you would do?

How about just giving here Terramycin laced water and see if it just goes away?

Again thanks!

Terramycin won't touch bumblefoot. I do not give antibiotics anymore. Had a hen that always had it- she went through so many of those, she ought to glow in the dark. I just remove all the cheesy gunk inside, flush the wound, pack with neosporin, gauze pad and wrap bandage. Then change the bandage every two or three days, depending on how it's holding up.

Back
Top Bottom