1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Boiled egg success finally

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Linda in San Diego, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Ok, I read and read and finally I may have found a solution that works for me.

I started the water added salt and then placed the eggs in the nearly boilng water. Then about 5 minutes before I was going to remove them from the boiling water I "thwacked" each one. The whites were cooked so no leakage - and every shell got cracked with time for the boiling water to do its thing.

Then when time was up - I pulled them out with a slotted spoon and immediately placed them in ice water. All of the "thwacked" eggs peeled beautifully, but the one that I missed? Moon craters!

Hopefully this will work again next time!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ooh..that IS a good idea!..i'm gonna try it!!! [​IMG]

3. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    The next part of the experiment is to ice them and NOT peel them, just put in the fridge for later. But I at least know that I can do Deviled Eggs with no problem!

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    great!.i get so sick of my eggs ripping apart when i try to peel them...appreciate this!..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by