Boiled eggs sticking to the shell??

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by mommas chickens, Jun 21, 2011.

1. mommas chickens

mommas chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Spring Creek, NV
    Ok silly question...when I boil my eggs from my hens and peel them the shell sticks to the eggs so bad is this normal or is there some tip anyone has to remedy this? Please advise. Thanks~

2. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    You can probably search and find a bunch of previous threads on some possible remediies, but the bottom line is your eggs are TOO FRESH. I usually keep eggs back a week or more that I want to hardboil.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    They will do that when then the egg is really fresh. You can either put eggs you want to boil on the side and let them age for a couple of weeks or what I do is add a bunch of salt (like 1/2 cup or ao) and a couple of table spoons of oil (olive or veggie). It works like a charm for me!!!

4. mommas chickens

mommas chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Spring Creek, NV
    Thanks so much! I didnt know that about being to fresh!! Thanks again!!

5. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
  6. greenbottle27

greenbottle27 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Southern NJ
    This also happens quite often with store bought eggs when you boil them. And I know cause I eat 6-9 boiled egg whites a day [​IMG] and I have no chickens.... yet [​IMG]

My trick is to drop the eggs in a bowl of ice water right after they come off the stove. Let me sit in the ice water until totally cool. Then, I just pat 'em dry and put 'em in the fridge. Now, this obviously won't work for you if you enjoy your boiled eggs warm [​IMG]

7. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    I didnt find salt to be very halpful. best to wait till the egg is a few weeks old to boil

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I agree with the others, when eggs are very fresh they tend to stick to the shell. I always add a little AVC to the water, it seems to help with that.

I usually always boil my older eggs...and use my fresher eggs for baking.

~ Aspen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by