boiling farm fresh eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by harris farm, Feb 26, 2011.

1. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    every time we boil our eggs they are so hard to peel. we loose about half of the white part when peeling. Why is that? is this common?

2. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You have to wait til the eggs have a little age before boiling.I like to wait until they are about 2 wks. old.The reason is that in that time moisture will have evaporated from the fresh egg and the egg will be less full of contents.
    I must say my explantion is lacking but anyway trust me they will peel much better.Anytime I have eggs that have gotten some age (I do keep them in the frig.btw.) I boil them and if I don't eat them I mash them up fine shell and all and mix with layer crumbles to feed back to the chickens.They love it!
    Now if my eggs are fresh and I want to boil them I add a good amt. of salt in the water they boil in.

3. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I put about a teaspoon of salt and a Tablespoon of baking POWDER in the water when I boil fresh eggs. (Use more salt and baking powder if you are boiling a dozen eggs or more). After boiling, pour the hot water off and kind of 'shake' them in the pan so that they crack. Then put ice cubes on them and cold water and peel IMMEDIATELY. They will peel easily and it works every time.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  5. got2bskilled

got2bskilled Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Baking powder~ interesting...... why? I love learning new things= ya gotta tell me!

6. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I watched someone on tv boil some eggs and then right after put them in a bowl of ice water and they peeled
    them so easy so i tried it and it worked great!!!! Right into the ice water seems to be the trick.
    And these were fresh eggs that I used.

7. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:It raises the PH of the water; makes the ph ratio of the 'fresh' egg/water more like the 'old' egg/water...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I boil mine with 1/4 cup of salt and an ice bath right away, and it never fails.

9. got2bskilled

got2bskilled Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Quote:It raises the PH of the water; makes the ph ratio of the 'fresh' egg/water more like the 'old' egg/water...

AH CHAAA! Cool:cool:

10. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    The quick cool down is the main trick It cause moisture from a warm inner substance to a cooled outer shell
    Kinda like a moisture barrier from the inside [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by