Boiling Pastured Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alejaredden, Feb 3, 2014.

1. alejaredden

alejaredden Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2013
    Ok, so I don't want to have to buy store bought eggs in order to be able to boil eggs! I have tried twice to boil my araucana, ameraucana and buff orpington eggs, and the outer membranes on all of them stick to the shell and egg. So frustrating to start peeling an egg and then destroying it because it won't come apart. Can anyone give me some insight into why this is happening, and is there anything I can do so that I can use my eggs for multipurpose use?? Thanks in advance for your time...

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    First of all, your eggs are too fresh for hard boiling. There is no space between inner and outer membranes. Even if you get extremely fresh store eggs, they'll do the same.

Either let them sit for a week or more.
    OR
    Put the eggs in cold salted water, bring to a rolling boil and take them off the heat. When the water has cooled somewhat, immerse the eggs into an ice bath and they will then peel normally.

1 person likes this.
  3. MomaChickJenna

MomaChickJenna New Egg

Nov 5, 2013
    Hi,
    It's because the eggs are so fresh. After a lot of trial and error, I finally figured out to get them to peel easily. After you boil them the allotted time. Put them in cold water and ice. Don't let the ice melt, keep them in ice until they cool all the way. They will then peel easily.

Jenna

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    We will put a dozen eggs out on the counter to age for a week if we plan to hard boil them, and they still won't peel well.

I've been known to buy store eggs to make deviled eggs just because I was so frustrated trying to peel my very fresh eggs.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Bring your water to a full boil. Add your eggs and cook for the desired amount of time. (I do 14 minutes) Then immediately remove eggs from boiling water and put in ice water until they are completely cold. (I usually leave them there a couple of hours because I'm doing other things) Even those fresh from the nest peel easily.

6. MamaChicken4

MamaChicken4 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    Upstate New York
    I agree with the fact they are too fresh. Week old eggs or older are better for boling. Also, I add a splash of vinigar in my boiling water. That helps the shell come off clean and doesn't make the eggs taste different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by