boiling

Are you talking about an old hen/rooster to make a stock for soup or what? So many different things to do from the boiling for several hours. Yummy!

Crock pot on low for 6-12 hours until the leg bone slips out. I season the water with herbs for flavor. Water used as broth for soup. All kinds of good things.

Strain. Debone the meat. Bones and whatnot goes back to crock pot for second round of bone broth. Add vinegar (we have basic, salty water) to acidify water. Seasonings depending on use, if any.

I pressure cook until meat is done(~45mins) and is saved aside then a couple more hours to get that bone broth.

Resting the cleaned carcass in fridge for 48-72 hours for rigor to pass is essential for chewable meat from any bird(except maybe CX?). Tho no homegrown bird I've eaten, layer or meat breed, is as soft as a grocery bird, they are more 'toothsome'.

I boil older birds (anything over 10 months) for about 3-4 hours at a medium simmer adding only salt and pepper. I then remove the bird and debone after cooling. Then i chop or cube meat depending on intended use or freeze it for later along with the broth.
If i am making soup, I add all my veggies and seasonings to the pot as the bird boils at about the 2hr mark. Then all the meat and the skin is shredded and put back into the pot. Serve over egg noodles or rice.

It is a rich, flavorful, delicious meal!

Back
Top Bottom