Bone exposed

Silkiechicken66

Songster
6 Years
Jul 22, 2016
So my 4mo RIR roo, Rosie, was running around when he got on our other Roos nerves. Said roo just charged him, nothing further than that, and went back to pecking around. Scared little Rosie and he ran into the bars of a pen and got stuck. When I got him loose his beak with bleeding. Well, at a closer look and after cleanup, the beak popped off the bone. The blood is coming from the left over part of the beak.

Has anyone dealt with this before? What’s the best way to deal with this? I’m keeping it clean and using a vet spray(it’s injestable). Other than that, I don’t know what else to do. He’s acting normal other than there being tender.
9D277351-EF72-4C4D-9350-8A8798717C95.jpeg

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance!

Beak injuries are the worst pain a chicken can experience, just so you are aware. You are treating the injury properly. Keep that up.

The subcutaneous part that's left will develop new cutaneous cells over the next few weeks and harden. In a month, at most, he should be good as new. Just prevent further injury. Feed soft high protein food such as soft boiled egg or crumbled tofu. Avoid hard things he needs to peck at.

It's possible he's suffering shock from the pain and injury. Give him electrolytes and sugar water or just warm Gatoraid.

Beak injuries are the worst pain a chicken can experience, just so you are aware. You are treating the injury properly. Keep that up.

The subcutaneous part that's left will develop new cutaneous cells over the next few weeks and harden. In a month, at most, he should be good as new. Just prevent further injury. Feed soft high protein food such as soft boiled egg or crumbled tofu. Avoid hard things he needs to peck at.

It's possible he's suffering shock from the pain and injury. Give him electrolytes and sugar water or just warm Gatoraid.
I’ve been giving him electrolyte water, and kept his food to an almost liquid. I’m syringing him water, putting it down his right cheek to avoid asphyxiation. He isn’t too keen on drinking and just wants to cuddle up and sleep. I’m fixing eggs right now.

He did much better today. I had a spare chicken diaper laying around(have a silkie roo in the house) so He has that and free reign of the house now. I gave him some soft pellets, not complete mush, and he ate like a champ. Drank by himself too. He’s been running around and being a complete weirdo all day.

Attachments

• 74912847-4142-47FE-A307-BB2C4B66DBCC.jpeg
    74912847-4142-47FE-A307-BB2C4B66DBCC.jpeg
    429.7 KB · Views: 27

Back
Top Bottom