Bones exposed!

Bird1805

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 15, 2012
We had two chickens attacked by a raccoon.. both Frizzles are missing a wing each. One is fleshy and the other has bone exposed...I know infection is a major concern so I immediately put them on antibiotics, but I'm unsure of what to do for the one with the exposed bone. Any ideas/advice would be much appreciated!! Thank you.

Last edited:
WOW!! all I can say is just keep monitoring them and treat the opens wound with ointment. Separate them from the rest of the flock so they do not get picked on and create more damage to the wings. You should seek a veterinarian advice to stich up the wounds. Good Luck!

WOW!!  all I can say is just keep monitoring them and treat the opens wound with ointment.  Separate them from the rest of the flock so they do not get picked on and create more damage to the wings.  You should seek a veterinarian advice to stich up the wounds. Good Luck!

We brought them inside away from the others, and put them both in the same big plastic tub. There really isn't anything to stitch its all kind of bluntly dissected and not bleeding at all which is a big surprise to me. I'm mainly worried about the one who's bone is exposed. They're calm and eating/drinking. I'm afraid to clean it and hurt them. But I probably should.

We had a chicken a few months ago who was a victim of a raccoon attack, she was ripped opened on her neck and breast area. I really didn't think she'd make it, but to my surprise she healed up nicely on her own along with the help of antibiotics and being confined to a cage. I guess these little suckers are hardier than I realized. I just hope these two can pull through the same.

I had a chick lose a toe to the bone from a cat. He just took the toe off from under the outdoor brooder (I promptly closed off the bottom!). I put bacitracin on it three times a day for a week when it seemed to be scabed over well and the inflammation went down. She is now dubbed "Toeless"...but is hands down my favorite.

You know, I've got to say chickens are probably the hardiest animals out there... both chickens whose wings were ripped off are alive and well today. The rooster sometimes gets caught on his side and spins in cirlces during his dust bath, but other than that they're great!

Back
Top Bottom