Bonjour,

40kfevvers

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2016
I am retired in France and am new to chickens (and postings!). Have last year adopted a couple of red barnyard hens with health problems - a steep learning curve involving lots of research! Have added two silkie chicks to the flock this year. Really enjoying things, until now when I discovered red mites in the coop! After further research have sprayed it with vinegar and then with a mix of water, oil and detergent. Still they come back. Am about to whitewash the coop and then start with diatomaceous earth. Fingers crossed. Any advice from you good people?

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
The thing I found works the best on mites is carbaryl. In the US it's branded Sevin Dust and in SA, where I'm originally from, it's Carbadust. So I can't suggest a name to look for, but ask at your farm store, feed store, garden centre, hardware store, etc. Anywhere that sells poisons. If you can get hold of this product, go for the powder if you can, dust the hens with it and then mix some with water, just enough to make a nice milky looking solution, and spray the entire coop, run, next boxes, perches, every nook and cranny with this mixture. It WORKS. Good luck!

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom