Bonjour,

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 40kfevvers, May 25, 2016.

1. 40kfevvers

40kfevvers Just Hatched

Jan 5, 2016
    I am retired in France and am new to chickens (and postings!). Have last year adopted a couple of red barnyard hens with health problems - a steep learning curve involving lots of research! Have added two silkie chicks to the flock this year. Really enjoying things, until now when I discovered red mites in the coop! After further research have sprayed it with vinegar and then with a mix of water, oil and detergent. Still they come back. Am about to whitewash the coop and then start with diatomaceous earth. Fingers crossed. Any advice from you good people?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] The thing I found works the best on mites is carbaryl. In the US it's branded Sevin Dust and in SA, where I'm originally from, it's Carbadust. So I can't suggest a name to look for, but ask at your farm store, feed store, garden centre, hardware store, etc. Anywhere that sells poisons. If you can get hold of this product, go for the powder if you can, dust the hens with it and then mix some with water, just enough to make a nice milky looking solution, and spray the entire coop, run, next boxes, perches, every nook and cranny with this mixture. It WORKS. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Bonjour, and welcome to Backyard chickens. DE really doesn't do anything. I hope you will follow Sumi's advice.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. 40kfevvers

40kfevvers Just Hatched

Jan 5, 2016
    Thanks all, nice to have the support!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by