Boody Hen or not

Tony Al

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 24, 2014
I have been confused by one of my hens. Sometimes she seems to be sitting - but then she seems to be out of the nest more than I think a broody hen would be. She seems to be in the nest more often than not. She even pecked at me once when I was checking to see if additional eggs were laid by other hens. But other times, she gets off the eggs and leaves the nest when I am checking for fresh eggs. I marked the 8 eggs I left there, and it seems that she must be turning them. I really can't tell if she is sitting or not.

I believe she is. It seems she is there each night that I check.

Well it has been awhile now, but I am no longer confused. The hen I thought might be sitting eggs - isn't. But I have another that that definitely started a couple of days ago. I have a couple of ceramic eggs that I put in boxes where I wanted the hens to lay - that worked. I noticed one hen that had seemed to disappear into one of the boxes a couple of days ago. It was where I had the ceramic eggs. Thought she might have started sitting, so I went to get the fake eggs out. She is definitely sitting the eggs. She wouldn't budge, pecked at me when I tried to get the fake eggs, and then moved right back after I moved her off. I gave her a few more eggs to sit at the time.

Back
Top Bottom