1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Book Recommendation

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Rosto, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    New Jersey
    I really liked the series Wool by Hugh Howey. It's dystopian fiction, but I thought the writing was very good and I enjoyed the characters. It's actually five books in one, so you could kill five birds with one stone :p

Catch 22 is another of my favorites. Also, anything Michael Crichton, especially Jurassic Park and The Lost World. One of my other favorites is another book called The Lost World but by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Looking forward to seeing it. I love reading!

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Do all the initials have to be exactly the same?

A. W. Hartoin or A. W. Exley are a couple...

YA bestellers, J.K. Rowling is an obvious, I love Tamora Pierce (Song of the Lioness series, Wild Magic, and Circle series), and Susan Cooper did The Dark is Rising series...

Mercedes Lackey wrote a huge series I enjoyed very much, Heralds of Valdemar...

4. MSirrell91

MSirrell91 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2014
    75 books nice going! I've set my challenge at 30 and I'm on book 3. One of my favourites from my 2015 challenge was The Scavengers Daughter by Mike McIntyre, it's about a journalist trying to track down a serial killer who uses medieval torture devices, really enjoyed that.

Another good detective-ish book was Halfhead by Stuart McBride, action packed, sci-fi and detective all rolled into one. I don't think I put that book down more than twice and that was only to sleep but it might not be your cup of tea.

5. Rosto

Rosto Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2010
    Here's the list! Join me for the 2016 Reading Challenge!
    [​IMG]

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @Rosto that's an interesting challenge. Some of those I'd have a hard time with (like self-improvement books usually just annoy me, lol). Can a single book count more than once? For instance, #11 (book less than 150 pages) and #19 (book you can finish in one day).

7. Rosto

Dec 15, 2010
    No, I think the idea is to read 75 different titles. But this is just a guide, you could do what you choose. Even do half---like a half marathon. I picked this challenge so that I would get out and read books I normally would not choose. You just never know what may make a person a life long lover of reading.

8. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    New Jersey
    Night by Elie Wiesing is a short book about the experiences of a holocaust survivor. I've read it maybe three times. Excellent and chilling book.

I also like Animal Farm by George Orwell. Both are short books.

9. Rosto

Dec 15, 2010
    Thanks, added Night on my list. I have already read Animal Farm.

10. Chickenchick11

Chickenchick11 Carpe Diem Premium Member

After reading through this I think it would make a great challenge! Here are some books that I've read and think would go great with the challenges. I've added the challenge number, and after that the title and author of the book. 21. "Nancy Drew and The Secret of the Old Clock" by Carolyn Keene 20. "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee 22. "The Maze Runner" by James Dashner 23. "The Kill Order" by James Dashner 28. "Divergent" by Veronica Roth 30. "Matched" by Ally Condie 35. "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins 47. "The Fault In Our Stars" by John Green 62. "Paper Towns" by John Green 65. "Lords of the Sith" by Paul S. Kemp 69. "Soul Surfer" by Bethany Hamilton 74. "Black Beauty" by Anna Sewell

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by