Border Collie vs. Chicken

klallen03

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 2, 2009
Bundaberg
Hello everyone,

I'm having that age-old debate on weather or not I should get rid of my dog and keep my chickens. I refuse to get rid of the chickens. So that's out of the picture.

The dog hasn't killed any but she annoys the heck out of them (by walking behind them, all day) and I just can't train the "herding instinct" out of my Border Collie. Which I know would be pretty hard to do because that is what they are bred for.

I also think my lack of space is making the dog bored and therefore she does the only thing that's available to her, bother the chickens.

I need some input, advice. Thanks.

Border collies need work. If you can't do that, you don't need a herding dog. I know that sounds harsh but the dog will escalate if she keeps staying bored.

If the collie isn't harming the chickens then I don't think you would have to get rid of her, unless you really believe you can find a better home. Many older pets once given up do not find homes and are put down. If she is bored maybe try taking her out on long walks, maybe to a dog park to play if you have one in your area. Perhaps just tossing a toy around for her for a while every day. Good luck!

I honestly believe she would be better off on a property.

I would never take her to a place like the RSPCA where she would just get put down. That's not even a possibility.

We really don't have anywhere I can take her unfortunately. All input is greatly appreciated.

How big is your property? I would keep her if she's not hurting the chickens, but keep an eye out for a new home. If you put the word out that you are looking to rehome your dog, you just might find someone whose lifestyle is better suited than yours for a border collie. I would LOVE a border collie, so I'm sure someone near you would love one, too.

We have a BC. Got her from a "friend" that abused her. She loves to herd our goats and chickens. She's mostly an indoor couch potato but she follows them when I go outside. She has never hurt anything, just walks behind them.

My terrier killed four chicks last month, I know your frustration.

After a long rant here, and a non-meeting with a pet trainer, I dug out the old wireless remote training collar. We had purchased this and not used it before when they were running.

She hasn't looked at the chicken sideways since getting a few good shocks. It is taking a lot of work, however.

Back
Top Bottom