Bored Chickens make a not so fun time

On the inside it is about 3 x 2’. But there are lots of stands above ground level and rafters and things on different levels that they can jump up and sit on. And the outside it’s about 5 x 4’.
I'd have to agree w/ others who've said that the area you've provided is too small for that many hens, esp. if they are full-sized layers (as opposed to bantams). Crowding can lead to aggressive behavior. Mine have a "flock block" for winter boredom. Before I let them out of their house, I sprinkle scratch feed on the ground just outside, so they have something to look forward to. (The latter might be helpful for I_Luv_Chiks)

Hello.
Chickens must have plenty of food and space.....
2' X 3' is only 6 square feet. You almost need that much per bird both inside and out, depending on the breed size of each chicken. That means an area of 8' X 9' inside and the same outside. Please read the following page 112 of RAISING CHICKENS ©1985 by CYNTHIA HAYNES (out of print by TAB/McGRAW HILL). If you can get a hold of a copy of this book of mine, it will really help you in giving your flock exactly what they crave and need. I am also wondering if they are running out of food and are just so excited when they finally spot you that they attack? Chickens do not ordinarily fly up at you or attack or bite except for the occasional mean rooster. Chickens must have food constantly preferably in hanging self-feeders.
Hope that helps you.......

Attachments

• CHICKEN SPACE.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 3
Welcome to BYC!
Can you post pictures of them in their coop/run? That would be a good starting point.
What do you feed them?
I have 13 egg laying hens. They are being incredibly aggressive, with humans and with each other (biting, not pecking, the. Faces of my father and I, and flying up to bite us for we are in there). I was wondering if there was anything you guys knew that would help. I gave them a rolling chicken toy from Kaytee. I was wondering if there was anything else. I am renovating the chicken coop this summer so I was just wondering. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• CHICKEN SPACE.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 5
I have 13 egg laying hens. They are being incredibly aggressive, with humans and with each other (biting, not pecking, the. Faces of my father and I, and flying up to bite us for we are in there). I was wondering if there was anything you guys knew that would help. I gave them a rolling chicken toy from Kaytee. I was wondering if there was anything else. I am renovating the chicken coop this summer so I was just wondering. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello.
Chickens must have plenty of food and space.....
2' X 3' is only 6 square feet. You almost need that much per bird both inside and out, depending on the breed size of each chicken. That means an area of 8' X 9' inside and the same outside. Please read the following page 112 of RAISING CHICKENS ©1985 by CYNTHIA HAYNES (out of print by TAB/McGRAW HILL). If you can get a hold of a copy of this book of mine, it will really help you in giving your flock exactly what they crave and need. I am also wondering if they are running out of food and are just so excited when they finally spot you that they attack? Chickens do not ordinarily fly up at you or attack or bite except for the occasional mean rooster. Chickens must have food constantly preferably in hanging self-feeders.
Hope that helps you.......

Attachments

• CHICKEN SPACE.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 2
If Dad has a bigger coop, is he going to just cram more chickens into it? A serious talk about cruelty to animals might be in order here. If you have to, you could "anonymously" notify local officials--the local Humane Society might be able to lean on him a bit to keep the numbers reasonable for the coop size and feed availability?

I am making sure that the dimensions of the new coop will have more than enough space for 20 chickens. At least 4 square feet per bird in the run, at least 1 square feet per bird in the hen house, and at least 1 nesting box per 3 chickens. I have been doing a lot of research on this

Back
Top Bottom