Bored, tired, and done!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jewels1935, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Mama Silkie is laying again, and since her first egg, she has nothing to do with her brood anymore. The chicks will be 4 weeks Sunday. When she's outside with them, she ignores their peeps, and runs away from them! [​IMG] I guess in human yrs, they're 18? [​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Oh, that's so sad. My Mama Hen stayed with her brood until they were 15 weeks old. By then they barely noticed that she had left them and they are so much a part of the flock - albeit junior members - that it doesn't seem to really matter.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She may be bored and tired, but she's not done. Give her about 2 or 3 weeks and she will start the broody process all over again. [​IMG]

4. Jewels1935

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:Yeah, but she's happy, and the babies are so big they don't fit under her small body anymore [​IMG] They pounce her, and peck her a lot. She's not mean to them, she will still show them food, but she likes to sleep with the other hens at night. I just bring the babies in.

5. Jewels1935

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:I know right! She lays an egg a day, but I collect every day. She was an awesome mother, and would def. allow a spring hatch.

6. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I have an Ameraucana mix who raises at least one brood a year, and she always mothers her chicks until they are almost as big as she is, much longer than 4 weeks. I guess different hens have different mothering instincts.

7. sager:)silkies

sager:)silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    Quote:my silkie moma is still with her chicks and they are 7 weeks old

8. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Gosh! I can't believe your little ones are going to be 4 weeks old! I bet they're huge! Haha

Any pictures of the little ones?

I hope mine will lay and go broody as much as everyone say silkies do.

Praying I have a few hens! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by