Boredom Busters

KWynne

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2020
Looking for simple diy or cheaply purchased ideas for boredom busters that work. Meaning, chickens actually go for it. With winter on the edge, there may be a day or 2 here and there I leave them in the coop. Heavy snow or extreme cold. 7 chickens, ample room.
Thank you in advance!

Take empty Gatoraid bottles or small plastic apple juice bottles and drill quarter inch holes in them. Fill with scratch or BOSS and toss them into the run. I have 23 chickens and I toss them five bottles full of BOSS when they're snow bound these days. The trickle of seeds out of the bottles as they roll them around with their feet is enough to keep them absorbed all day without overeating the treats,

Take empty Gatoraid bottles or small plastic apple juice bottles and drill quarter inch holes in them. Fill with scratch or BOSS and toss them into the run. I have 23 chickens and I toss them five bottles full of BOSS when they're snow bound these days. The trickle of seeds out of the bottles as they roll them around with their feet is enough to keep them absorbed all day without overeating the treats,

:oops: I read that as "quarter size" holes, not quarter inch as you stated...I'm thinking what kind of challenge is that. I better go get more coffee :caf

:oops: I read that as "quarter size" holes, not quarter inch as you stated...I'm thinking what kind of challenge is that. I better go get more coffee :caf
Is your brain going into its eighth decade by any chance. Mine is, and my reading comprehension tosses out surprises just like that all the time.

One-quarter inch is just right. BOSS can still fall out, but not at a very fast rate. You don't want the bottles to empty quickly or that removes the challenge. The bottles should last all day. The holes are too large if they don't.

I have a tunnel that I bought for my dog when he was a puppy. He has long since outgrown it. Do you think it would be fun (or maybe it would be scary) for the chickens?

Back
Top Bottom