Boredom Busters

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
I was thinking of getting some plants and putting those in the run. What kid of plants should I use? I moved stuff around today so they have a new slate. They never really liked a chicken swing so I cant really do that. Any other ideas that you know they will live and not just use it once and forget about it 😭

Chickens like things to dig through, dust bathe in and perch on. Basically, items that allow them to express their natural behaviors. Swinging would not be considered natural to a chicken.
They need lots of space to run and flap their wings and jump up and perch.
Add perches, stump arrangements, pallets leaning against the walls, old wood stools or chairs, whatever. Use a run litter that is organic and can be scratched through and will break down with the poop load.
Flock in run.jpg

I have to say the best thing I’ve ever found to bust boredom was a pile of just about anything. I would June raking poop, leaves, bedding or whatever into a pile and it took about five seconds to attract a chicken. Try a few buckets of compost for them to pick through too. If you give scratch toss it around the run so they have to hunt for it.

Back
Top Bottom