Boredom....

Amanda Taggart

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2017
Ok, i have 3 apparently mix breed 4 and a half week old chicken, i feel like they may be getting bored. I take them outside whenever weather permits. They are housed inside our guest bedroom inside of a large pack n play (play pen) i have a roost in there and their food and water! They get mealworms occasionally but is there anything thing i can give them to ease boredom? Or is it all in my head?

Marbles Big Bright marbles. Last chicks we had in 100 gal brooder were B O R E D, nothing new to see or do, they were too young to put out, looked on here for ideas B4 the feather Picking/fights started. Ping pong balls scared them. O and made a swing they liked the movement.

Boredom busters:
Cut open a melon or cucumber and put it in with them
Hang a cabbage for them to peck it
Give them a pan of dirt with bugs in it
Give them some lettuce or a pile of grass to search through
Put a roosting bar in with them
Add something new to their enclosure, a small box with a doorway and window holes just as an example
Sprinkle mealworms throughout their bedding for them to scratch for

There are lots of other boredom busters online!

Boredom busters:
Cut open a melon or cucumber and put it in with them
Hang a cabbage for them to peck it
Give them a pan of dirt with bugs in it
Give them some lettuce or a pile of grass to search through
Put a roosting bar in with them
Add something new to their enclosure, a small box with a doorway and window holes just as an example
Sprinkle mealworms throughout their bedding for them to scratch for

There are lots of other boredom busters online!
I would like to add, chick block and a suet feeder with treats in it too. Making sure they have chick grit first.

If you can attach a dowel rod across the play pen you can give them all sorts of activities . I have hung pop tops (the little tabs) on a twine . They are attracted to shiny things. I tapped it with a hammer first to make sure it wasnt sharp and just put it almost out of their reach.

Back
Top Bottom