Borotto lumia 16 advice for incubation

Rollyfrog

Chirping
Feb 14, 2022
Hi
So I'm not very experienced at incubation, most of our chicks were hatched from adults so I'm on a steep learning curve. Any advice on this would be amazing as I don't feel like I can contact the Borotto manufacturers again :/ I think they'd just tell me no hygrometer needed :/
So I set up my incubator, ran it for two days and it felt like the correct temp inside by hand so I was okay with trusting the display. However we had a very humid day so I got a hygrometer and placed it inside. The temp stabilised to the same on the second day so I assume that's what they say in their email? However the humidity has stayed around 65% unless I have no water in the water channels. In their manual it says adding water to one channel (which they say makes it sit at 45%) until lockdown than adding water to both (which they say brings it up to 65%). Should I just leave it dry which has it sitting at 35-40% humidity or fill one channel?
This is a good hygrometer, not a cheapy so I sort of trust it. Plus the borotto lumia doesn't have a humidity sensor in it. I'll add pictures of the email about the temp and having the hygrometer in the incubator.
I understand their "wait and see" approach, however I have a full load and would like to ensure a good hatch. Or should I just follow the instructions, pull the hygrometer and cross my fingers? Am I being silly for worrying so much is what I'm asking I suppose :idunno

Screenshot_20220314-185517_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20220314-185532_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20220314-185540_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20220314-185610_Gmail.jpg

If you live in a highly humid area, you will have to adjust the instructions regarding how much to fill the water chanmbers. The directions are just a guide, everyone's relative humidity is different, so a different amount of water will be required. Washington is very humid so you will just have to fill the chambers less/not at all to achieve your desired humidity.

Upwards of 90% hatch rate and still one/maybe two hatching. So if anyone find this thread and is in doubt about putting a hygrometer in and not following the manual about how much water to put in when, then I'd say go for it and see. I'm personally happy I put it in against recommendation by the company.
Also people are not kidding when they say baby quails are suicidal. Found three UNDER the newspaper flooring 🤦‍♀️

Attachments

• 20220329_125257.jpg
    20220329_125257.jpg
    638.3 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom