Boschvelder x Auracana (African Easer Egger?)

Khoisun

Chirping
Sep 30, 2021
Windhoek, Namibia
My Coop
My Coop
Hi All!

So last week, a chicken farmer I am acquainted with had to move to another property & had to sell off a lot of his chickens. I ended up purchasing a breeding pair of Boschvelder x Araucana. The father is a Boschvelder Rooster & the mother is a pure Araucana Hen. The Araucana is not suited for the extreme heat that we experience in our country which is why he crossed it with the Boschvelder, see more details on breed below:
Breed Name: Boschvelder
Breed Category: Mixed Breed, Cross Breed
Breed Description: Indigenous Cross Breed
Temperament: Excellent forager, defends itself well.
Purpose: Meat and Eggs.
Maturity: Starts laying at 6 months, with a laying lifetime of 3 years
Eggs Productivity: 200-240 eggs Per year
Body Size: Large.
Broodiness: Good
Climate: Most Climates, can tolerate extreme heat and cold.
Comb: Single.
Size of Eggs: Medium, increases in size as the birds get older.
Colour of eggs: Brown.
Colour of bird: Brown with white feathers.
I love the pair, they are beautiful looking birds. According to the breeder, the hens still lay a blue eggs.
So now the question is, what do we call it? He calls it Americanu, which is to close to Ameraucana for me. :confused:
Secondly, any advice on how I can "stabilize" the breed?
See pictures attached, apologies the pullet is a bit shy, don't mind the Potchefstroom Koekoeks(they are sold waiting collection).

Attachments

• IMG_20211023_120425.jpg
    IMG_20211023_120425.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20211023_120426.jpg
    IMG_20211023_120426.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20211023_121140 (2).jpg
    IMG_20211023_121140 (2).jpg
    492.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20211023_121515 (2).jpg
    IMG_20211023_121515 (2).jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 8
Boschcana?

You're going to have to select birds with qualities you want, and breed from them to stabilize those traits. Since you only have a pair, you will need a lot more birds if you want to start a breeding program. If your goal is colored eggs, then breed the pair you have and see what color of eggs you get from the offspring before going any further.

Boschcana?

You're going to have to select birds with qualities you want, and breed from them to stabilize those traits. Since you only have a pair, you will need a lot more birds if you want to start a breeding program. If your goal is colored eggs, then breed the pair you have and see what color of eggs you get from the offspring before going any further.
Boschicana!
Thank you so much for the informed reply.
I want a coloured egg layer that is tough as nails & a great forager. I would like to maintain as much blue as possible, as I understand this will give me a good base to cross with other breeds for more colours.

The breeder still has the original pair & is currently looking into getting a Auracana Rooster to put on some boschvelder hens. His old Auracana rooster passed.
I want to order a straight run of chicks from him once he gets settled.
Should I get some of the same chicks for stability or of the new parent combination for genetic diversity?
I like the look on my Rooster & he is quite nice to the chicks he is sharing a coop with which are strong Boschvelder traits & I understand roosters determine the temperament of his offspring?
Sorry for all the questions, I am just so exited:ya:clap:love

Hi All

Not really much to update, hen & roo just slowly growing. I am planning to get 10 Araucana x Boschicana chicks form the same farmer around February next year. These chicks will be 3/4 Araucana, so my blue colour should improve when crossing the hens with my roo? Could not get nice pictures of the pair, here's the roo:
IMG_20211226_182034.jpg

Back
Top Bottom