Bosciaola: Of The Forest

bigmike&nan

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Scenic Jackson New Jersey
Now that Daylight Saving's Time is upon us I am motivated to make hot dishes the wife and I can eat out of bowls on our deck. A hot dish because it's not really that warm out yet, but the extra daylight makes deck dining so appealing. A quick online search for variation on the dish I was taught show that folks consider just about any pasta sauce that features sauteed exotic mushrooms (criminni, shiitake or oyster mushrooms for example) are used with a marinara over penne and is called Bosciaola (for mushrooms found in forests).

Not this dish: hearty sauteed red potatoes, quartered onions, chunks of red bell peppers, quartered mushrooms, sweet sausage chunks and even a little zuchinni are cooked until the caramelization has it all sticking to the pan. A deglazing of white wine and a dash of fresh thyme, rosemary and some red pepper flakes brings all those tasty bits off the bottom of the saute pan. Add some chopped flat leaf parsley and serve up in big bowls and you have a wonderful hearty dinner worthy of any occasion. Football legend Joe Montana was a regular at the place I worked at and this was his favorite dish. Enjoy.

Mis en place:

1 lb mushrooms quartered
1 large red bell pepper, in large chunks
1 large onion quartered
1 large zuchinni, in large slices
2/3 lb sweet sausage, cut in chunks
3 Tbls EVO
1 lb. precooked red potatoes, in large chunks
1 1/2 cups white wine
fresh thyme, rosemary and 1/2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley chopped

Preparation:

Heat a large dutch oven over high heat until screaming hot. Add the EVO and once it almost smokes add the sausage and potatoes and saute 4 minutes. Now add the onions, mushrooms, zuchinni and bell peppers, season with a little salt and pepper and saute about 10-15 minutes, stirring every once in a while. You are going for caramelization so let this cook. Once the potatoes and vegetables take on some color deglaze with the white wine, add the herbs and cook until the pan is again almost dry. Remove from heat, add the red pepper flakes and chopped parsley and serve in large bowls with rustic bread and a hearty red wine.

P3110489.jpg

Back
Top Bottom