BOSS vs Corn

Cracked. Just because it's easier to digest from being cracked already... Corn vs. BOSS, still corn for quick energy. The BOSS has more fiber, takes longer to digest. Wontvget the energy boost from BOSS that they would with corn.

That being said, if whole kernel, it might actually have more nutrients still intact over the cracked... So that call is entirely on source and cost, if it were up to me :)

Thanks shortgrass, really appreciate your reply. Here in NE Tennessee, it can go down to 0 to -10 a few nights a winter and mostly lows in the teens and twenties, just figured I would try getting some advice now. Thanks again.

Shortgrass makes good points. If strictly for energy, cracked corn would be better but as they said, any seed or grain that has the shell broken will start to lose nutrients (what little is in corn) so always feed fresh.
BOSS has better vitamin content and if still in the hull has only slightly higher protein. If hulled, the protein is on a par with chicken feed but that is crude protein and short on some essential amino acids.

Last edited:
Exactly.... I'm big on wheat. More protien, fiber, and just a wee bit less energy, but better feed to gain ratio, and middlings are shown to decrease poo odors when used at 7% concentration... So I switch out half my corn with wheat after harvest...(cheaper that way lol) The corn us great quick energy, but can become too much of a staple feed and they miss out on important nutrients and fatty acids etc found in better grains, like BOSS.

Corn is cheap, I'll give it that. But wheat can be a huge asset ;)

I've been buying scratch grains lately for the first time in my life only because I haven't been able to get the grains I want to feed.
Normally in mild weather, the scratch is primarily oat groats and sometimes stripe sunflower and millet. In cold weather I switch to wheat, barley and BOSS>

Presently. I just switched them over to layer and they have separate bowls of one grit and another oyster shell, which they pick at when they want. I have been giving them some kale, swiss chard and cucumber, which they really love, out of my garden as treats. I also give them some BOSS occasionally, which they also love. The girls also have a mobile run that I use, where they go from their attached run to the mobile run and then I pull out into the property for them to scratch around, there are way too many hawks, coyotes and other predators for them to just roam around. I figured with the cold weather on the horizon, I would try to find out what would be best for them before they settle in for the night. Looks like maybe whole corn should do it, hopefully. I appreciate the insight.

My scratch is cracked corn mixed with BOSS, I also have a dish of whole corn available as well as layer, all flock, and free range. Corn is good for energy, BOSS adds fat.

They have access to layer pellets the entire day, it is a feeder they have to step on in order to open. Their coop is a commercial one that I bought, steel frame, wood siding, slide out solid floor, metal roof, with an automatic door on a timer to go up and down on it's own. Plus I installed a light on the inside, on a timer. These chickens have the life.

Back
Top Bottom