Bossy new bantams…..

Flowerchickie

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2020
Washington PNW
I recently got 2 bantam ameraucana and a sultan 6 months old. I did the quarantine away from the original girls and introduction in a separate pen by the run. My original girls didn’t seem to care about them as much. Two of my older girls put them in their place and the other 2 didn’t spend a lot of time near them. I let the bantams out after a week and man they are bullies. My Australorp is afraid of them along with my original Sultan. My barred rock and buff orpington fight back. The littlest one is the biggest bully. She will chase my Sultan a little and my australorp. My original Sultan is always running away from them. They have been together about a week and sleep together in the coop for the last few days. My original sultan got demoted to the bottom roost because these guys are pushy and want to be on the top. Did I introduce them too soon? Will it get better over time? The little guys aren’t laying yet I hope they calm down some when they do. They don’t attack and draw blood, just the chasing.

I recently got 2 bantam ameraucana and a sultan 6 months old. I did the quarantine away from the original girls and introduction in a separate pen by the run. My original girls didn’t seem to care about them as much. Two of my older girls put them in their place and the other 2 didn’t spend a lot of time near them. I let the bantams out after a week and man they are bullies. My Australorp is afraid of them along with my original Sultan. My barred rock and buff orpington fight back. The littlest one is the biggest bully. She will chase my Sultan a little and my australorp. My original Sultan is always running away from them. They have been together about a week and sleep together in the coop for the last few days. My original sultan got demoted to the bottom roost because these guys are pushy and want to be on the top. Did I introduce them too soon? Will it get better over time? The little guys aren’t laying yet I hope they calm down some when they do. They don’t attack and draw blood, just the chasing.
It should get better. When I introduced new bantams to my flock (for my lonely Banty who had no other bantam friends left) my Wyandotte bantam went and ripped Banty’s comb right open! She took a giant chunk out of it!😨 But we got them in Spring and now they are all good friends and nothing like that has happened again. My Wyandotte bantam is the most aggressive and she has calmed down fully. Once yours start laying it should be better too!😉

It should get better. When I introduced new bantams to my flock (for my lonely Banty who had no other bantam friends left) my Wyandotte bantam went and ripped Banty’s comb right open! She took a giant chunk out of it!😨 But we got them in Spring and now they are all good friends and nothing like that has happened again. My Wyandotte bantam is the most aggressive and she has calmed down fully. Once yours start laying it should be better too!😉
Ok thank you I feel a lot better now. I got the Sultan and the 2 bantams for my original Sultan so she would have more chickens her size. She was holding her own against one of the ameraucanas then the other one tagged teamed 😒. Now she is the lowest one in flock once again. I love her so much I feel like a jerk for causing her problems 😅.

Ok thank you I feel a lot better now. I got the Sultan and the 2 bantams for my original Sultan so she would have more chickens her size. She was holding her own against one of the ameraucanas then the other one tagged teamed 😒. Now she is the lowest one in flock once again. I love her so much I feel like a jerk for causing her problems 😅.
I think once they bond they will become friends! My Banty actually likes the other bantams now and will beat them up sometimes but not too bad!🤪 It’s cute that her big girl friends try to defend her!❤️

I think once they bond they will become friends! My Banty actually likes the other bantams now and will beat them up sometimes but not too bad!🤪 It’s cute that her big girl friends try to defend her!❤️

What does your run space look like? Big empty space, or is there clutter to provide hiding spots and keep birds busy? https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Having multiple feeders spaced apart also helps as food is often a reason for conflict.
They're good on food luckily everyone is able to eat and drink fine. Their run is 176 sq ft for 3 full size chickens and 2 Sultans and 2 Bantams . I'm planning to build more stuff inside over time as I collect wood. I even gave them 2 large dust baths one with mulch or dirt so they can decide what they feel like lol. They also have the small chicken yard outside the run I'm planting plants in so they have more spaces to hide.

Attachments

• Resized_20210902_091335.jpeg
    Resized_20210902_091335.jpeg
    972 KB · Views: 6
They're good on food luckily everyone is able to eat and drink fine. Their run is 176 sq ft for 3 full size chickens and 2 Sultans and 2 Bantams . I'm planning to build more stuff inside over time as I collect wood. I even gave them 2 large dust baths one with mulch or dirt so they can decide what they feel like lol. They also have the small chicken yard outside the run I'm planting plants in so they have more spaces to hide.
Awww.❤️ All your chickens are so cute!🥰

Back
Top Bottom