Bought a Cheap Incubator

My incubator arrived today! It's pretty small - only holds 7 chicken eggs, but I don't plan on incubating many quail. Pretty excited to try it out. Gonna have to wait for the conures to hatch out, then me to hand feed the babies.
You won't need to worry about getting lots of chicks with that incubator -- It's the same one I have and I used it twice with 14 eggs and only got 1 chick from each clutch (unfortunately I found the 2nd chick dead this morning) -- Most the other quail eggs were fertile and they all had partly formed chicks in them but due to either too much humidity or not enough, or the incorrect temperature gage on the unit, the hatch rate is super low.

oh... there WAS another set of eggs I tried to incubate in this one also == it literally cooked them... no chicks from that very first set. You will need to put another thermometer in there to tell proper temp.

Let us know how it goes and how many make it tho!

You won't need to worry about getting lots of chicks with that incubator -- It's the same one I have and I used it twice with 14 eggs and only got 1 chick from each clutch (unfortunately I found the 2nd chick dead this morning) -- Most the other quail eggs were fertile and they all had partly formed chicks in them but due to either too much humidity or not enough, or the incorrect temperature gage on the unit, the hatch rate is super low.

oh... there WAS another set of eggs I tried to incubate in this one also == it literally cooked them... no chicks from that very first set. You will need to put another thermometer in there to tell proper temp.

Let us know how it goes and how many make it tho!
Yaaaay! I'll be surprised if I get one egg to hatch. In a week I'm planning to start incubating. I'll make sure I'll have pictures for y'all :D.

Well, candling isn't going as well as I thought, but I might have a possible chick in one of my eggs. WOn't know for certain for another few days. Tossed one egg because it was an official dud, complete with cracks.

If this batch turns up bad, I have another source of eggs that's a 20 minute drive from my place. So excited to try official hatching eggs :)

Well, candling isn't going as well as I thought, but I might have a possible chick in one of my eggs. WOn't know for certain for another few days. Tossed one egg because it was an official dud, complete with cracks.

If this batch turns up bad, I have another source of eggs that's a 20 minute drive from my place. So excited to try official hatching eggs :)
I just sold my incubator (it's the same one you have) and then I ordered another incubator which has all the bells & whistles including a humidity sensor, egg turner, candling light, etc for $60+$8 shipping .. I believe he has one left if interested since you're in Canada..
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/224373176800?_trkparms=ispr=1
That incubator you have is just not good unfortunately.

I just sold my incubator (it's the same one you have) and then I ordered another incubator which has all the bells & whistles including a humidity sensor, egg turner, candling light, etc for $60+$8 shipping .. I believe he has one left if interested since you're in Canada..
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/224373176800?_trkparms=ispr=1
That incubator you have is just not good unfortunately.
Sweet! I was looking at that one if I didn't get this one :). I'll definitely be thinking about the one you bought a second time! :)

I have used that same incubator. We managed to hatch out 4 baby chicks, 3 in one time and 1 on his own at a later date( the only viable egg).
We did sit a hydrometer in it and we added an extra hole for air in the lid. Didn't use any water at all for the first 17 days as we live in a humid area anyway and then filled it up for lockdown.

I have used that same incubator. We managed to hatch out 4 baby chicks, 3 in one time and 1 on his own at a later date( the only viable egg).
We did sit a hydrometer in it and we added an extra hole for air in the lid. Didn't use any water at all for the first 17 days as we live in a humid area anyway and then filled it up for lockdown.
I suspect, after going through pictures here on BYC, that I might have 2 fertile eggs. I'm not 100% sure. Definitely some duds in there, though!

Oh I hope that everything works out and hopefully some more might be fertile aswell. I have put 6 eggs in before and waited the 7 days only to find they were all duds. Its so frustrating.

Oh I hope that everything works out and hopefully some more might be fertile aswell. I have put 6 eggs in before and waited the 7 days only to find they were all duds. Its so frustrating.
Oh lordy, I can sympathize with finding nothing but duds! **Looks at her conures and sighs** I am really hoping I have at least one fertile egg :)

Back
Top Bottom