Bought a house that came with a coop but I need some advice on this setup.

I'd guess that the top was intended to use as a brooder. How tall are the two sections?

Venting those triangles is good. Are the windows wire or solid?

The lower section looks both short and poorly-ventilated. You might take the floor out of the brooder area and use the entire space as one, taller, better-ventilated structure.

This would be a lot of work but depending on your skill level might not be to hard.

Maybe remove that floor, extend the walls so where the windows are is above the current drop doors. Make that upper roof so it goes all the way out and provides an overhang.
It looks like that sunny window is a favorite thing so I would keep those but make them so they can open.

I would be looking at having a way to enter the coop and stand fully upright for human access too.

I'd guess that the top was intended to use as a brooder. How tall are the two sections?

Venting those triangles is good. Are the windows wire or solid?

The lower section looks both short and poorly-ventilated. You might take the floor out of the brooder area and use the entire space as one, taller, better-ventilated structure.
I’m at work right now, so I cannot meassure but my guess would be 3 ft lower and upper at the highest points. I’m 5’7 and I can stand up straight where the hole leading to the lower floor is.
That it was used as a brooder was my thought, too. I think I will remove the upper floor.
Edit to say the windows are solid arcylic or something like that.

This would be a lot of work but depending on your skill level might not be to hard.

Maybe remove that floor, extend the walls so where the windows are is above the current drop doors. Make that upper roof so it goes all the way out and provides an overhang.
It looks like that sunny window is a favorite thing so I would keep those but make them so they can open.

I would be looking at having a way to enter the coop and stand fully upright for human access too.
This is our first house and I do not have a lot of skill. Trying to learn.
Expanding the walls is something that I definitely think is a great idea and something I’d wanna do eventually but may be out of my scope right now.

Expanding the walls is something that I definitely think is a great idea and something I’d wanna do eventually but may be out of my scope right now.

If you decide to try I know we have a lot of great people on here that can help problem solve and get you through it.

I’m at work right now, so I cannot meassure but my guess would be 3 ft lower and upper at the highest points. I’m 5’7 and I can stand up straight where the hole leading to the lower floor is.
That it was used as a brooder was my thought, too. I think I will remove the upper floor.
I like the other suggestions so far! As for the windows, I would put hardware cloth over the opening, and hinge the windows at the top, so they can open for ventilation if needed, or be closed if it is really cold....but when open can still provide protection from rain/snow entering coop. I get a lot of 'sideways' rain/snow, so can relate to that concern!!

If you can turn them into top-hinged windows and cover the opening with wire they would be perfect vents for the structure once the brooder floor is out.

Metal roof mounted on purlins is surprisingly easy to work with.

Remodeling a chicken coop is a great learning project for more advanced homeowner/handyman chores.

We are slowly increasing our collection of this line of DeWalt cordless tools because they're light to handle, have good runtime on their batteries, and have held up better than former tools: https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/shop-by-cordless-platform/20v

If you decide to try I know we have a lot of great people on here that can help problem solve and get you through it.
Expanding the walls is something that I definitely think is a great idea and something I’d wanna do eventually but may be out of my scope
If possible, be brave/daring and try now. You will probably regret it later if you don't. Plus, stand-up access will be sooo nice to have for the whole coop. Maybe someone on here can suggest some you-tube videos of rebuild projects that might help? Or maybe you have an old-timey neighbor that has some know-how, and being retired, might have a couple of hours to help you out?? Even if it is just for the knowledge/process if they can't physically assist?

We bought a house that came with a coup and run. We kept chicken when I was a child but this would be my first flock. Is this setup usable? I have never seen anything like it. There is an “upstairs” which I assume the ladder is supposed to connect to. And it has a hole that opens to the garage. There were heating lamps set up up there as well. Should/would the chickens hang out up there? There is no little chicken door only the two big ones that fold down. How many chickens could I comfortably keep in this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We live in NNY btw and get really cold winters.
I love this old yard set-up. So much character.

Back
Top Bottom