Bought as hen, but think this 5 month old may be a roo? *MORE PICS

DOES this convience you ?

9529_australorp_hen.jpg

100% HEN

That bird you have pictured are has a single comb is of a completely different build(rounder, deeper set chest etc) then the bird in question. Also the bird you pictured has no shiny, pointy feathers on its back and long sickles unlike the one in question. It looks completely different from the unknown bird, yes it has the same colour but that is all they have in common, and black chickens come in many breeds.

Last edited:
That's a mature hen being compared to an immature (IMO) roo. If you look at the tail on the hen it only goes up and out, no flop down. If you look at her teenager, it's getting the "up and flop" rooster tail.

My friend has a chicken like that, some of it looks like a rooster some looks like a hen, turns out its a hen. i think you have the same case,i vote hen:thumbsup:thumbsup

Quote:
You are exactly right. That is why I posted photos of my australorp hen next to a rooster to compare the tails. There is a BIG diference. And yes, her bird has a PEA comb, not a single comb like australorps. Roosters do not always crow at 5 months old. I already explained what is happening with my marans right now and I also had a silkie rooster not start crowing until it was 7 months old last year. Add to all of this the fact that it has saddle feathers and hackles and what more do you need?
roll.png

Here is another close up of the bird in question and feathers:

IMG_6629.jpg

You can see the roo behind who is a lot taller, broader, and thicker than the bird in question.....
IMG_6644.jpg

This is my roo (RIR? Maybe a cross, I don't know):

IMG_6639.jpg

The bird in question near my roo:
IMG_6648.jpg

Looks like I have a bunch of differing opinions.....why can't they be like dogs or horses or cows, you know from birth what THEY are!
smile.png

Last edited:
I'm seeing a rooster, very pointy hackles and a sickle tail feather. I've never seen a hen with either of those. The size difference between it and the other roo could just be a difference in rate of growth which varies from breed to breed. And pea combs do not look as obviously rooish at the same age as say a single combed breed.

Back
Top Bottom