Bourbon red 10 weeks: TOM!

wyochickenlady

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 6, 2014
Casper, Wy
I have had my suspicions this one is a Tom. I have seen him fluff up a bit but today he sprawled all his feathers and started strutting. This means my husband will be expecting thanksgiving dinner though :(

That's cool...

I have 9 bourbon reds that are 5 weeks old and one was gobbling today and his head was changing colors it was pretty funny

qe9a5ygu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone tell the sex of this 9 week old Bourbon Reds? I noticed the wing feathers are coming in different in each one. Does that mean anything? Im new to turkeys.

Mine really took a turn around 9-10 weeks, where it became a little clearer. I did have 2 that were obviously developing very differently. My males face was much darker and the crauncales (sp?) much more pronounced. I say hen for now. And as you can see from the picture above I posted, he struts big time and that is at 10 weeks. I also had someone tell me that if the top of the head is triangular it is a hen, if its square its a jake. I made guesses with both my bourbons and Spanish black early on, and so far, it appears my guesses were spot on!

Back
Top Bottom