bout how much does one sell a dozen farm fresh eggs?

Thanks everyone!!

I can definitely understand selling them cheaper where and when you have to and definitely get saving but I can also see charging more where there is a demand for it and you can do it. But of course not enough to rip people off. Like $11 I would never buy, I'd just suck it and buy store eggs at that point haha but I understand California is more expensive.

But I don't think I could sell them at $2.50 either, not sure it would even be worth selling them at that point aha

Maybe what I could do though is start out at $3 or $3.50 maybe to see people's reactions and if they like them and/or once the eggs get bigger or my 5 new chicks come in October I can raise it up to $4?

What do you charge for half dozen and 18 pack?

NE Portland, Oregon. $4 dozen, no problem. I have regular buyers, so that covers cost of feed. Happy me, happy chickies :)
At that price here I would be competing with the grocery stores. It would be easier for them to buy while shopping then to drive to my house. That's awesome for you!

My chickens eat about 100 pounds of feed a week and they free range all day. My feed cost ranges from $12.99-$14.99 a 50 lb. bag at TSC so I'm looking at $26-$30 dollars a week just for feed. I also buy 40 lb. bags of PDZ from a local feed store for $11.95 each. I use two bags to cover all of my poop boards and it lasts for a couple months. The pine shavings on the coop floor and nests last a long time so that's not a real big expense.

There is a feed grain mill about 1.5-2 hours from me and their feed sells for $10.15 a 50 lb. bag and $9.20 a 50 lb. hen scratch. The lady I talked to didn't seem to know how fresh it was, she just said they sell a lot and make more when needed. I wouldn't save due to gas driving there but it would make a nice road trip.se.

I charge $3.50 for the 18 pack large. Most of my customers want 2-4 dozen at a time. I have one customer that calls and ask me to save eggs for her for a certain amount of days for her husband who goes out on a shrimp boat. Right now I'm saving for her until next Tuesday. I get almost 3 dozen eggs a day. She's my best customer and doesn't mind paying $3 for a dozen. Right now I've got my eggs on sale to compete with the low store prices so she'll be happy.

I was surprised people will venture over to pick them up. Sometimes I drop off on my way doing other errands.
My customers all live fairly close.
Honestly, I would probably be too lazy to buy eggs separately, but knowing where their food comes from is really important to my buyers. It inspires me. My feed costs about $15 a month as mine also free range.

I was surprised people will venture over to pick them up. Sometimes I drop off on my way doing other errands.
Honestly, I would probably be too lazy to buy eggs separately, but knowing where their food comes from is really important to my buyers. It inspires me. My feed costs about $15 a month as mine also free range.
How many chickens do you have?

Thanks everyone!!

I can definitely understand selling them cheaper where and when you have to and definitely get saving but I can also see charging more where there is a demand for it and you can do it. But of course not enough to rip people off. Like $11 I would never buy, I'd just suck it and buy store eggs at that point haha but I understand California is more expensive.

But I don't think I could sell them at $2.50 either, not sure it would even be worth selling them at that point aha

Maybe what I could do though is start out at $3 or $3.50 maybe to see people's reactions and if they like them and/or once the eggs get bigger or my 5 new chicks come in October I can raise it up to $4?

What do you charge for half dozen and 18 pack?
Where I live - dozen farm-fresh eggs, are 1.50 from the local farmers as you drive down the road. They also sell Watermelons, 2 for 5 dollars, honey, pecans and afigs for a fraction of the cost in the market.

It costs more for us to have chickens for eggs, then we'd make selling any :p

Last edited:
At that price here I would be competing with the grocery stores.  It would be easier for them to buy while shopping then to drive to my house.  That's awesome for you!

My chickens eat about 100 pounds of feed a week and they free range all day.  My feed cost ranges from $12.99-$14.99 a 50 lb. bag at TSC so I'm looking at $26-$30 dollars a week just for feed.  I also buy 40 lb. bags of PDZ from a local feed store for $11.95 each.  I use two bags to cover all of my poop boards and it lasts for a couple months.  The pine shavings on the coop floor and nests last a long time so that's not a real big expense.

There is a feed grain mill about 1.5-2 hours from me and their feed sells for $10.15 a 50 lb. bag and $9.20 a 50 lb. hen scratch.  The lady I talked to didn't seem to know how fresh it was, she just said they sell a lot and make more when needed.  I wouldn't save due to gas driving there but it would make a nice road trip.se.

Wow that's a lot of feed! I only have 8 so mine go through about a bag or two a month. I personally don't believe 8 chickens can go through 40 pounds of food in just 2 weeks to a month so I think I might have a rodent problem maybe BUT I haven't seen any evidence of that and I tend to dump the bowls when they get close to empty or rained on so maybe they don't eat much and I'm just dumb and waste lots of feed LOL hoping to start using different feeders soon though that might help. My feed I think is like $14.

I charge $3.50 for the 18 pack large.  Most of my customers want 2-4 dozen at a time.  I have one customer that calls and ask me to save eggs for her for a certain amount of days for her husband who goes out on a shrimp boat.  Right now I'm saving for her until next Tuesday.  I get almost 3 dozen eggs a day.  She's my best customer and doesn't mind paying $3 for a dozen.  Right now I've got my eggs on sale to compete with the low store prices so she'll be happy.

That seems like a pretty good price. So like a dollar more or so? Wow that's awesome you have such regular customers! Most of the ones around us would probably only want a dozen at ones, older people mostly. But my brother takes a dozen or two when he runs out and every so often we give 2 dozen to my uncle.

I would be too lazy too lol our feed is about the same.

I was thinking of just putting some sort of stand or something at the end of the driveway/by mailbox. Not sure I want people coming in the driveway with our dog.

Where I live - dozen farm-fresh eggs, are 1.50 from the local farmers as you drive down the road. They also sell Watermelons, 2 for 5 dollars, honey, pecans and afigs for a fraction of the cost in the market.

It costs more for us to have chickens for eggs, then we'd make selling any :p

Wow that's cheap! I'm not sure I'd even bother selling them at that point lol

Back
Top Bottom