bout how much does one sell a dozen farm fresh eggs?

They aren't worth it. You can buy 12 doze, to 18 eggs in the store, for 1.25-2 dollars... at walmart or HEB. So the farmers around here, they don't do *anything* fancy with their chickens. No fancy living quarters, no fancy food. they probably break even barely, to feed part of them, and that's about it.

We consider having animals here a "hobby" expense. we definitely aren't going to make money as a small farm. Fences, gardening materials, tractors, hay, all of that adds up to more then you can make as a small time operation most of the time.

They aren't worth it. You can buy 12 doze, to 18 eggs in the store, for 1.25-2 dollars... at walmart or HEB. So the farmers around here, they don't do *anything* fancy with their chickens. No fancy living quarters, no fancy food. they probably break even barely, to feed part of them, and that's about it.

We consider having animals here a "hobby" expense. we definitely aren't going to make money as a small farm. Fences, gardening materials, tractors, hay, all of that adds up to more then you can make as a small time operation most of the time.
Yes, the same for me. It didn't start out as a business but the more they laid the more eggs I had. My husband painted a sign of a hen and put it in the front yard. Before I knew it I had a waiting list for eggs so I bought more chickens, not thinking of more feed, lol, so that's how I ended up with so many chickens. Now I would just like to break even.

I clean the coop every morning, fill the feeders and clean & fill the waterers. Some days I don't want to do all that so my husband does it for me but mostly it's my job.

They aren't worth it.  You can buy 12 doze, to 18 eggs in the store, for 1.25-2 dollars... at walmart or HEB. So the farmers around here, they don't do *anything* fancy with their chickens. No fancy living quarters, no fancy food. they probably break even barely, to feed part of them, and that's about it.

Yes, the same for me.  It didn't start out as a business but the more they laid the more eggs I had.  My husband painted a sign of a hen and put it in the front yard.  Before I knew it I had a waiting list for eggs so I bought more chickens, not thinking of more feed, lol, so that's how I ended up with so many chickens.  Now I would just like to break even.  

I clean the coop every morning, fill the feeders and clean & fill the waterers.  Some days I don't want to do all that so my husband does it for me but mostly it's my job.

That makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, i know we'll probably never really make money on them especially with how much we've already poured in but if they can at least pay for their own food, or part of it, I'll be happy lol

That poor rooster. I bet he's happy when the sun sets :)
I have 5 golden comets of which 3 are laying at nineteen weeks.
In my town in CT, I have seen 3 homes with eggs for $3. a dozen. They put the eggs in a cooler at the end of the driveway with a box to leave the money. GC
I keep the rooster as an alarm for hawks. We have netting over the whole backyard but a hawk can still fly into one of the trees and work his way down to the chickens. He's great about alarming us for stray dogs and cats. So far he's been a very nice rooster.

We sell vegetables on the honor system. Right now we just have okra on a table with a tent over it, a scale, a container with bags and the okra. Customers can weigh their okra and put the money in a mason jar. We've sold other vegetables the same way, corn, squash and tomatoes. We put up a sign with the price per pound/dozen for corn.

I keep the rooster as an alarm for hawks.  We have netting over the whole backyard but a hawk can still fly into one of the trees and work his way down to the chickens.  He's great about alarming us for stray dogs and cats. So far he's been a very nice rooster.  

We sell vegetables on the honor system.  Right now we just have okra on a table with a tent over it, a scale, a container with bags and the okra.  Customers can weigh their okra and put the money in a mason jar.  We've sold other vegetables the same way, corn, squash and tomatoes.  We put up a sign with the price per pound/dozen for corn.
Yes it's nice to live in a small town where you can use the honor system. GC

Our local Ingles Grocery store sells "Real Free Range" eggs for over $5.00 dozen with 5 different brands to choose from. They also sell their own branded eggs for $.99 dozen. If they have decided to sell many kinds of Natural or Free range eggs, they must be selling enough to make a decent profit from them.
I've talked to a number of folks selling eggs who have a waiting list for them - if that's the case, raise your price!

I haven't sold any eggs yet but a coworker offered me $4. A dollar more than the going rate around here. My neighbor and several coworkers want eggs from me. I only have 5 hens. GC

Thanks everyone. Thinking i might go with an honor system type stand at the end of the driveway for either $4 or maybe $3.50. Not sure if I'll have enough eggs for 18 packs though actually but maybe. Easier to sell by doz though. Trying to decide how much to charge for half dozen though? Or if to even do that? Maybe $2 or $2.50? We get between 6 to 8 eggs a day, lately it's been 6, so I figure that they should be able to pay for at least their own food and maybe shavings which would be great. That's assuming we keep none for ourselves and family though and just sell them all but even if we keep some it should still basically pay for itself

Thanks everyone. Thinking i might go with an honor system type stand at the end of the driveway for either $4 or maybe $3.50. Not sure if I'll have enough eggs for 18 packs though actually but maybe. Easier to sell by doz though. Trying to decide how much to charge for half dozen though? Or if to even do that? Maybe $2 or $2.50? We get between 6 to 8 eggs a day, lately it's been 6, so I figure that they should be able to pay for at least their own food and maybe shavings which would be great. That's assuming we keep none for ourselves and family though and just sell them all but even if we keep some it should still basically pay for itself

Don't forget if you are going to go with an honors system chances are you will not get cartons back so figure that into your cost, at 25 to 50 cents a pop the cartons can add up quickly if you need to actually purchase them...

Or you could just buy some eggs to feed back to the chickens and get free cartons, this is an ad for a local grocery store in my area this week...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom